Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ls1 Cross8 Crewman 2004 oil light comes on when warmed up

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
So the code reader didn't pick up anything which was weird. But it still comes up with checkout and then there was what sounded like lifter noise. So to me sounds like starving of oil up the top end? I rear about the oring in the oil pick up may need replacing but would that be it? And has anyone with a cross 8 had this issue? Is the pick up in the sump, and can the sump be removed without taking motor out as it's a and, may be things in the way any help appreciated

are you sure the codereader is compatible with the vehicle?

have a read here for more info on reading codes in a Holden.

if you are losing oil pressure that throws the oil light on - not sure if it records a code.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Sure it's not low oil sensor in sump?

purelydaniel

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ute, lj torana
No I'm not sure no codes come up. Is that sensor in the sump or the side of sump

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
the oil light comes on, as if to say add oil.
Just so you know the oil light isn’t there to say please add oil. It’s there to say you’ve got low oil pressure and your destroying your engine every second you leave this engine running with the light on.

If you’ve been treating the oil light as an advisory then you may have damaged the engine and worn out the bearings. Worn engine bearings will decrease oil pressure due to the increased “leakage“ out the side of the bearings.

purelydaniel

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ute, lj torana
Mate the car is not registered I am not running it around, just stating what it says. I don't run it any more. And stop straight away when it came up. And also I know the lights doesn't mean add oil but thats what it says, as I stated

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Take alternator off & fit oil pressure if want assurance...apparently bolt on side can be used to prime pump on startups & probably used for other things on U.S models.

I'd still check oil level sender thing & wiring on side of sump too.

Do you see oil pressure light on dash & do you see it go off on start up?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
That oil light comes on, there’s a code generated. No ifs or buts.

A lack of your reader finding a code only means your reader was not able to find it. A higher end interface will certainly find it. Then other data can be accessed and more clues unearthed to solve the problem.

You don’t need Cross8 specific info or data. Any LS1 will read the same codes etc. and have the same mechanical faults or workings.
It’s only the sump itself and transfer case workings that differ.