Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 engine differences between models???

cjscott84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7ltr
hi all

Just wondering what the difference is between the ls1 engines in vt, vx, vy, vz. I have a vz ss and im in need for a new engine. Would the earlier model engines suit if i change the throttle body over???

Ryan272

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
going on what ive heard from people who have worked on and owned various ls1 engines i would stick with a gen III engine and onwards.
ive known a couple of people with vt-vx engines with a bunch of problems.
this is all heresay though. but i spose all info helps.

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
going on what ive heard from people who have worked on and owned various ls1 engines i would stick with a gen III engine and onwards.
ive known a couple of people with vt-vx engines with a bunch of problems.
this is all heresay though. but i spose all info helps.

WTF? You realise the Gen 3 (LS1 for those playing at home) started with the VT II and carried on through to the VZ (with slight changes with each model, which is what the OP is asking about).

Vt_vic

Reaction score
Members Ride
carless for now
better getting the latest you can find but vz are electronic throttle so better off sticking with a vy one

Ryan272

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Lumina
WTF? You realise the Gen 3 (LS1 for those playing at home) started with the VT II and carried on through to the VZ (with slight changes with each model, which is what the OP is asking about).

haha relax man, yeah i know vt II had ls1, but I'd heard that they had some problems, what i should have said is stick to vy-vz ls1's onwards, not simply gen 3. upon reading it again i see it didnt make sense.
cheers

tooslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VY MALOO SII SUBARU LIBERTY B5 WAGON
hi all

Just wondering what the difference is between the ls1 engines in vt, vx, vy, vz. I have a vz ss and im in need for a new engine. Would the earlier model engines suit if i change the throttle body over???

why dont you gave the L76 or L98 ago you will have more fun with and more horses

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
L98 FTW :driving:

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
You could probably pickup a VZ l76 brand new which would be alot easier to fit as the later VE L76/98 have a lot of physical and electronic dofferences to the VZ.
The VZ LS1 5.7 uses an electronic throttle body so changing to a VZ L76 6.0 might be fairly straight forward, although not exactly sure of what the PCM difference between the VZ engines are.

colgf

Reaction score
Members Ride
s/charged v6 HR Holden, s/charged v6 EH Holden,
I have a VZ LS! Monaro & the donk is quite different to the WH Caprice I had in 2001. The donk has been refined quite a lot with better heads , pistons & rings, inlet manifolds , exhaust manifolds , computer, water pump, A/C compressor, to name a few . Power is up to 260kw from 220kw back in 2001 version.
The later models had better power down low (the early ones suffered badly with "Doughy" performance unless there was 4000rpm on the tacho.
Stick to a 2005 or later 5.7. The 6.0 litres & above have different PCU & would be hard to assimilate into a VZ. You can put 6.0 litre heads straight on to a 5.7 (cathedral inlet type) for an extra 20kw too.