Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 Engine oil choice?

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
Castrol Edge 10w 60. Just search mate

VYSS_Black

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Too much conflicting info regarding this topic I've found.

Many people yes, say castrol 10-60 but there's also many who say that you will rarely get the oil to a high enough temp for the 60 to utilize which in turn can actually damage the engine.

Just gonna go holden and get the standard recommended oil and be done with it.

QldKev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina - GENIII
Too much conflicting info regarding this topic I've found.

Many people yes, say castrol 10-60 but there's also many who say that you will rarely get the oil to a high enough temp for the 60 to utilize which in turn can actually damage the engine.

Just gonna go holden and get the standard recommended oil and be done with it.

Can you link me to any authoritative source of this?
I cannot see how this could be true? The same temp would be achieved in the oil, so the same contaminants should be burnt off. I would be more than happy to be proved wrong, and use the cheaper alternative in oil.

Steve from Mainlube recommends Castrol Edge 10w60 if you can't afford his oil, and he knows a thing or two about it.

For mine it's Castrol 10w60. IMHO the standard oil is a compromise between fuel economy, emissions and protection. If your buying a new car, don't want to drive it hard often and plan on selling it within 3 years, I agree go the lighter spec'd oil. But we modify our cars to produce more power than standard which in turns puts more stress on the engine internals, hence we need better protection package.

I've had my VX for many years, I've modified it, and plan on keeping it many more years. It does see the red-line so I'm happy to sacrifice next to nothing difference in fuel savings for engine protection. Also my engine has 130,000 km on it, it probably isn't as tight as it was when it left the factory.

edit: Two quote from here
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/518/motor-oils

"Oils recommended by the auto manufacturers seem to compromise protection from wear under severe conditions to gain fuel economy and catalyst durability"

"The best oil for your vehicle depends on your driving habits, the age of your engine and the climate you drive in, but it is not necessarily the type of oil specified in the owner’s manual or stamped on the dipstick."

QldKev

Last edited:

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
The majority seem happy to go with 10w60 full synth like the Castrol. But it is subjective. I was chatting with a engine builder who was a mate of my mechanic and he said a 10-60 is too thick for a daily.

The recommended Holden oil is a touch too thin. Basically they recommend the thinnest oil they can without causing wear issues as it improved fuel economy and power ever so slightly.

Also depends on how you drive the car... Holden recommend a 5-30 or 10-30 from what I remember? They also recommend not taking the car to redline so their oil recommendation is for cars that are driven under normal conditions (whatever their definition of that happens to be).

Best bet, put a 10w60 in a see how it goes. If the engine is quiet and smooth, roll with it, if not... next service try something else. No biggy to change oils so long as you don't go switching from a mineral to a synth. Something to do with gaskets expanding... can't remember the specifics but it's not good.

Good luck.

VYSS_Black

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Can you link me to any authoritative source of this?
I cannot see how this could be true? The same temp would be achieved in the oil, so the same contaminants should be burnt off. I would be more than happy to be proved wrong, and use the cheaper alternative in oil."[/I]

QldKev

Im not sure if that's true or not, it was something i simply read off the internet (some hsv forum from memory? but not entirely sure) If i find the bio on it, ill post it up.

Last edited:

VYSS_Black

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
The majority seem happy to go with 10w60 full synth like the Castrol. But it is subjective. I was chatting with a engine builder who was a mate of my mechanic and he said a 10-60 is too thick for a daily.

The recommended Holden oil is a touch too thin. Basically they recommend the thinnest oil they can without causing wear issues as it improved fuel economy and power ever so slightly.

Also depends on how you drive the car... Holden recommend a 5-30 or 10-30 from what I remember? They also recommend not taking the car to redline so their oil recommendation is for cars that are driven under normal conditions (whatever their definition of that happens to be).

Best bet, put a 10w60 in a see how it goes. If the engine is quiet and smooth, roll with it, if not... next service try something else. No biggy to change oils so long as you don't go switching from a mineral to a synth. Something to do with gaskets expanding... can't remember the specifics but it's not good.

Good luck.

Hey Mate,

I'm noticing a lot of references about how you drive your car can be used to pin point a better oil. So for me, its really my daily driver. To and from work (under 10kms away), shops back and forth and few trips on weekends around the suburbs but it would mainly be under or around the 10km mark each trip. highway drive rarely, maybe once a week and would be under 20kms one way.

Its an auto and I rarely flat foot the car nowadays.. was a bit of a hoon when i first got the car (long while ago now) but now that's sort of worn off on me and i am mainly interested in keeping the engine in good running condition so she treats me well for ages as i have no plans as yet of upgrading, AND getting best mileage possible.

Also, no mods of any kind and its an Auto if it helps. Have coming up to 130,000kms on clock which is prompting these questions about oil. Time for a service..

I believe now im running Valvoline 10w30 fully synthetic in there and i must say fuel economy is great compared to last oil change (had no time to do it myself so took it to a local mechanic, god knows what oil he had in there and i must say i was at least short 80-100kms on a full fuel tank each time which was atrocious)

Willing to spend up to $70 for decent oil this time round.

Last edited:

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
If the valvoline has been working good you may as well stick to it

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
I would stay with the Valvoline if it is doing the job, my VX SS has had various brews in it over the 16 years I have owned it and I have never really noticed any difference in the oils used. The current workshop I have been using for the past 2 years or so has been using Valvoline Durablend 10w40 Semi Synthetic in it, like you I don't drive it hard and it gets regular 6 monthly oil changes.