Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ls1 engine removal

madsav

Reaction score
Members Ride
your ass
Once again I find myself still sinking money into bloody cars,any way vt ls1 6 spd manual sedan.i need to pull the engine out but never just pulled the engine before I've alway yanked both motor and box,any advice on removing just the engine and reinstalling?

Last edited:

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Pretty sure you will need to drop the box first.

madsav

Reaction score
Members Ride
your ass
Bugger, working as a 1 man show makes life hard when removing and replacing a engine. Oww well at least while the gearbox is out I can drain and refill it.

madsav

Reaction score
Members Ride
your ass
Or any advice on what will be easyer as im working on my own, I have to replace the clutch, sump gasket and rear main seal while im at it

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Remove gearbox by unbolting bell housing bolts, undo shifter linkages and disconnect wiring harness. Remove engine by removing radiator and hoses, power steering pump, ac compressor, all wiring and undo engine mounts. Should pull straight out

evilstuie

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 TransAM
I know this is an old thread, but I just pulled my first ls1/T56 combo from a VY SV8 so thought I'd comment as well.
I pulled it out from the top complete and it seemed pretty straight forward. Took half a day, most of the time was spent chasing wiring harness plugs and disconnecting those bastard fuel line connectors, but used a bushman mechanic tip I found on youtube and used a coke bottle lid to pop them off without breaking them.

I left all the accessories on, just removed the radiator and hoses, intake and fuel rails, air box and right side coil pack to give clearance for the motor and the brake booster.
Took the extractors off, undid the clutch line and the most annoying part I think was having to unbolt the tailshaft, I'm used to that just slipping out.
Other than that I just drained the sump and power steering and the clutch fluid decided to let itself out all over the garage floor, but it was pretty much it.

One tip though, my engine mounts didn't want to let go so once we'd hoisted the weight off the engine bay, we ended up undoing the bolts to the motor and that made it a lot easier to get the engine clear, and an engine level on the hoist made the job a lot easier getting it out too.

Overall it felt easier working on this than pulling the 400 from the transAM so hopefully it'll be easy putting it in that.