Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ls1 excessive oil consumption?

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Hey mate just wondering, why is that more blow by being created when engine breaking??

Blow by is heightened (but not caused) by high rev driving/where the engine makes a lot of its torque

When you engine brake youre typically in the mid to high rev range for a period of time.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
It might have a lot to do with the extremely high manifold vacuum when engine breaking too. Possibly oil through the pcv?

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
The PCV is where a lot of it comes from.

Seeing how much oil was being captured once i install a catch can was a little scary.

That being said, if the OP is talking about "hey im missing a litre of oil" I wouldnt think it would be blow by and would think it would be comming from somewhere else.

Typically I was collecting maybe 100-200ml of oil every 5000km, but mine was getting on in age at that point.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I read a technical bulletin a few years back (can't remember if it was from Holden or GM?), basically put is said a lot of the issues with the oil burning issues was to do with the type of rings used in the LS motors. GM decided to use rings with slightly less tension to reduce friction and improve efficiency. My understanding is the fix for oil burning LS engines fixed under warranty was to use standard tension rings on the rebuild.

Now the issue with the manual cars is that they tend to see medium to high revs with a fully closed throttle which leads to a very high vacuum in the cylinders, coupled with low tension rings that haven't seated properly and you have a good recipe for getting oil into the cylinders and going out the exhaust.

http://www.rjsmith.com/gm-894549.html

Last edited:

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Hmmmmm not really that keen on forking out for a rebuild might try installing a catch can setup see if that helps my situation

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
Hmmmmm not really that keen on forking out for a rebuild might try installing a catch can setup see if that helps my situation

All a catch can will do is catch the oil it wont stop it getting past the rings.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon

Thread dig, but did you fit the catch can? How much was being recovered?

I am loosing around a litre every 5000km and have been thinking about a catch can, if you got one did you rout it to drain back into the sump?

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Get a LS6 PCV set up it has a OIL/AIR separator box that stops the oil from leaving the system, I installed one and it works perfectly.

LS1Howto.com

ls1_vs_ls6.jpg

after fitting take the throttle body off and clean it all with Carby/TB cleaner and use 2 cans threebond engine conditioner afterwards. it will stay clean after that.

One other thing is on our LS1 it has a the other rocker cover breather, this can be joined to the LS6 set up using a 7.9mm Y piece, before or after the valve.

corp_0809_09_zls1_swapthrottle_body.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

the Y piece.

Brass Y Piece Fitting 5 16" Hose Barb Enz P75 05 | eBay

I purchased from here, and if you ask him he will bundle the $8 corvette plug for old hole on the passenger side as described in the how to with no xtra postage. as the postage was like $50 for it lol., cut and reused the old valve and used 5/16 fuel hose so all up it was about $130 odd, I also had that notch in the block that needs to be cut to accommodate the new set up.

LS6 PCV.
LS1 LS6 Engine Valley Cover Corvette 04 06 GTO cts V Built in PCV Valve 12577927 | eBay

Corvette plug.
LS1 LS6 Valve Cover PCV Grommet Plug 12568011 | eBay.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
Thanks for that, not keen on having to notch the block, I'd sooner look for catch can option but the information above is really good.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
No probs, I was a bit stressed about it (notch) at the time, but if you take your time, and use the right tools, its golden.