Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 extractors

Red LS1 V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LS1
I'm looking at replacing the shorty CSV 4>1 on my VY series 2 spec LS1. The shorties are currently mated up to twin 2.5" system including 100 CPI Ballistic cats and DPE stainless system.

The car has a cam and Higgins ported 241 heads. I'm assuming the shorty headers are holding me back with those CNC 241 exhaust ports especially, so I was looking at something with 3" outlets. I was thinking Pacemaker PH #5361. So, 1 3/4 4>1, then getting them HPC coated.

Only issue I may have is that my car is low (why I have shorties now). Anyone know if these Pacemaker hang low? I didn't look at DPE 4>1 for this reason.

Thanks

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Got tri-y pacies on stock height(fe2?) vy sv8...it just rubs on those small hard plastic speedbumps councils putting in everywhere.

Had 4-1's difillpo on vy ss ute with sl pedders springs...it scraped on most things so had to do hecktik angles to get over speedbumps etc....4-1 pacies were not much higher so expect it to hit.

They mainly touch area before the cat.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I had 4-1 hurricane headers with 1 7/8 primaries on my ss and didn’t scrape anywhere, but they were close to the rack.

Sounded awesome. Cammed etc etc. much better sound than the smaller headers imo. It screamed when you wanted it to but was still easy to live with

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
When I was doing exhausts I found the Hurricanes to have the best clearance. When fitting them, make sure you get heat shields for the rack boots. The Pacies come with them, but not the Hurricanes.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Just have to accept those issues if you want 4-1's also really should go twin 3" for that full on obnoxious sound!!!

1 7/8 4-1's sound off chops even on stock ls1 with otr/tune....just a nightmare to fit in driveway.

100% need braided clutch line & bleeder if car is manual otherwise will boil fluid even after bend factory metal line away clearance is just too small.

Admitted defeat & pulled out big pipes to put in tri-y pacies...do notice less top end & pron idle sound but better torque off idle for stupidly low Sydney speed zones/speed bumps/roundabouts.

Also 100% easier to work on with tri-y compared to the big pipes.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Have 4-1s in 2 cars.
1 i know is 1 3/4 primaries, the other i'd have to check. (could be 1 7/8)

How low is low?
The Ute with a twin 2.5 has Lows or SL springs and the bottom of the cat flanges are about 120mm off the ground.
The Sedan with a twin 3 has Coilovers all round (skirts sit at 110mm) and most of the exhaust sits at about 100mm except cat flanges

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I've got 4-1 that often contact the road or other obstacles, car is on pedders sl. The Tri-Y were never an issue. If you're chasing all round street ability they are a good choice. I went the long tube for the blowers sake

Red LS1 V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LS1
Thanks for the replies, everyone. There's some great information here! I had not even thought about Hurricane Headers. They sound like they could be a better option than the Pacemakers. The responses also confirm my thoughts on the DPE long headers.

I wouldn't look at swapping to Tri-Y headers from my CSV (DPE) shorties, I don't believe it's worth it on my combo. I am happy with the noise level currently too, so will stick with twin 2.5" and 1 3/4" headers.

I'm really only looking to change just to optimise what I have. Especially because I was told that the exhaust port opening on Higgins Heads is 3" (I wasn't aware of this before), so my current heads aren't being fully utilised.

I am also not actually sure how low my car is, not stupidly low and doesn't tend to scrape unless I am dealing with bad angles on driveways etc

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Exhaust ports will not be 3", more likely 2".