Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
Hey team,

I've decided to pull the heads to see if my lifters are worn out after some intermittent ticking and have a few questions. Appreciate help on any of these!

1 The lifter bodies and the bottom of the lifter bores are scuffed ever so slightly - no gouges - just superficial wear (can post photo if helps)
Is this normal for a 200km stock motor and should I be concerned? Will I cause issues by putting new lifters in as opposed to leaving originals in?
Do new lifters require any special bleeding/prime techniques or just soak in oil overnight with oil hole at the top?
2 Are the "hat type" and non-hat valve stem seals interchangeable on these models? As in the hat type have the valve spring seat built into them.
3 Has anyone used gasket remover spray (CRC) for removing head gasket remnants? Does it work well and or can you suggest the best thing to do to clean head gasket surfaces on these aluminium blocks/heads? Should I be ok to replace heads without machining them as long as all of the old gasket is off? The engine has never overheated as far as I'm aware.
4 Would it be OK to re-use the original pushrods (they have no obvious wear) on new lifters? For longevity should I replace push rods too? Would that mean I need new rocker arms?
5 Would you replace valve springs at 200k kms if there are no issues with the originals? I'm not after power - just longevity. I have original cam etc stock internals.

Looking forward to hear your comments. Thanks in advance for your time!

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
Lifter scuff & rocker wear marks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210822-210024_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210822-210024_Gallery.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 20210823_112232.jpg
    20210823_112232.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
CRC gasket remover is good stuff, super angry stuff, even disolves powdercoat.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I wouldn’t be concerned about those scuff marks mate, just put a new set of lifters and new plastic lifter trays in too there’s no need to replace pushrods or rockers if they aren’t worn or bent just be sure to use new rocker bolts as they are single use items

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
Hey guys, pretty happy with my results. I changed the lifters with LS7 and my startup rattle is greatly reduced. I am getting good oil pressure. Also the tapping noise I had is GONE. Happy days

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Hey guys, pretty happy with my results. I changed the lifters with LS7 and my startup rattle is greatly reduced. I am getting good oil pressure. Also the tapping noise I had is GONE. Happy days

Good to hear.

A little trick David Vizard has mentiond on his youtube channel.
If you have adjustable rockers you can wind the plunger in on standard lifters and they act like LS7 lifters.