Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS1] ls1 headers

yamahahatim

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss crewman
Hi all, new to site, recently bought a vz ss crewman, and looking for some advise.. has anyone used the short 4 into 1 style headers/extractors. retaining stock cat position... and exhaust on the crewman twin 2 1/2, with two mufflers ( twin 2 1/2 in through to twin outlets ) don't wanna have the drone thing going on...any help would be great... ta

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
drone comes from no rear muffler and also poor manufacturer quality, buy a decent exhaust and you won't have issues with drone

yamahahatim

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss crewman
Got my twin 2 1/2 done on the crewman, sounds awesome without being too loud. only a small amount of drone at 1400 rpm.... also scored a new set of harrop extractors, I will fit them up soon..... any other mods to do to spark up the bottom end of the rev range????

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
Never heard of Harrop extractors - do you mean H&M or Hurricane?

To get it moving a bit quicker look into tuning the ecu with a decent air intake should see the crewy a little more stout, also if a little more poke is needed you can upgrade diff gears

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The crewman is one of those cars that is hard to get a really good sounding exhaust that doesn't drone. What system did you end up going with?

I know people want to spend as little as possible, but not replacing cats with high flows when doing extractors and a system is only doing half the job. The LS1 cats, while they do flow well, are actually the most restrictive part of the exhaust. Even if you don't want long tube headers, I would still replace the cats regardless.

yamahahatim

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss crewman
Purchased the extractors, new, direct from Harrop in melb... look similar to the cobra/hurricane/pacemaker/H&M, ones I guess... and bonus... stainless ones (dunno if they are any better!!) The twin 2 1/2 with 2 straight through muffler system (x over in mufflers) was done by a local exh guru, he hates standard exhausts, only custom stuff. really fussy does very neat job.... will look into changing cats.... whats the diff with 100 cell and so on??

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
The cells for a better word the holes that you see in the substrate (honeycomb), and the more holes like the standards 400cpi don't allow for much exhaust gas flow. So the 100cpi would let the gases escape more quicker creating more HP

FYI legal is 200cpi

Catalytic.jpg

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
NAAF, if you want one to experiment on, you can try mine :D that way you can say that you can make the best sounding exhaust for a crewman :p

If you lived down Bunbury way I would take you up on that.