Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ls1 heads and cam

samnon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss
hey guys just curious what kinda power figures you are making with heads and cams on a ls1

Huntington

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
There is no single answer to that, everyones setup will be different. Im holding up at 289rwkw but there is other work required to sustain that power. and theres people that would consider my ss as very mild still.

Remember when you putting your plan together, dont just price the bits, you will need tuning, you will need to replace other things you never thought of.
Springs, rods, gaskets, bolts, torque convertor, fluids, tuning, labor, the list goes on it all adds up very fast.

and then things start to break...

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
Well said, I like to add one more, diff gears added with the torque converter will give the car necessary street manners.

To the op cam wise most guys go for the 22x/23x area with the standard cam been around 198/208.

Huntington

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
^^^ pretty spot on there too, however dont make your plan to "what most guys use". Tried and tested is good, but you should be talking to a tuner about what you want out of the car.
"I want 9 second ET's" and "I want a tough weekender that turns heads even while idling" are two completly different builds. A good tuner, performance mechanic will know the cam, head, extras to get the effect you want.

fixitdude74

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II CALAIS 5.7 A4
Ring Sam's Performance(Greenacre nsw) and have chat to him, he is very knowledgeable on LS1, he told me the standard LS1 heads flow quite well, and that the standard cam is very conservative, but also the standard exhaust causes alot of back pressure, so fitting a free flowing exh system plus remapping the fuel plus dyno tune(cos it will run lean after the exhaust is opened up)will yield a big gain, and most commo enthusiasts are happy with that.
Just to give you an indication, my 5.7 VX II calais was 225kw standard, before mods, on dyno it was putting 178rwkw, after the exhaust(including extractors and new cats) and dyno tune and new oxy sensors, she picked up 42rwkw and extra 28nm torque, if you do the math, thats 220rwkw, or 270kw@flywheel, goes like stink now:rockon: but my next mod will be a lower diff ratio.