Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 Instead of LS2

J4Y80Y

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Caprice
Hey all, yes you read that right.
I have a WL Caprice with no motor or box in it. Originally it came out with a 6ltr Ls2 and a 4 speed auto.
At home I have a cammed LS1 and 4L60e box and was wondering how hard to put this motor in instead of a LS2?
The caprice has extractors and exhaust and I want to bolt up my ls1.
Appreciate all your help.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
No Caprice's came out with LS2's, only cars to ever come out with a LS2 factory was VZ HSV and early VE HSV just to clarify. I'm assuming yours is one of the '06 onwards models though with a 6L which would have been IIRC a L76 or possibly a L98. Majority of things will bolt up with no worries, headers, engine mounts etc, but depends what the LS1 was out of you may need to put a drive by wire throttle body on the engine if it's not got one already, just make sure you have the correct TB as the VE spec and VZ HSV ones are both different to the standard VZ/WL one. Box wise 4L60 to 4L60 everything should bolt up and match up wiring wise. The only thing that may give you grief otherwise is the ECU, as the 6L models had a different ECU mounted in the engine bay compared to the LS1 variants as well as a different reflector wheel. Easiest way should be to use a LS1 ECU (hopefully you have one to suit the motor anyway) but I'm not sure if the connections are different between the Gen 3 & Gen 4 ECU's (LS1 vs/ L76/L98).

Short answer, mostly yes. Just a few things to be mindful of.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
If you have a gen4 car ECU will be an issue.

J4Y80Y

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Caprice
No Caprice's came out with LS2's, only cars to ever come out with a LS2 factory was VZ HSV and early VE HSV just to clarify. I'm assuming yours is one of the '06 onwards models though with a 6L which would have been IIRC a L76 or possibly a L98. Majority of things will bolt up with no worries, headers, engine mounts etc, but depends what the LS1 was out of you may need to put a drive by wire throttle body on the engine if it's not got one already, just make sure you have the correct TB as the VE spec and VZ HSV ones are both different to the standard VZ/WL one. Box wise 4L60 to 4L60 everything should bolt up and match up wiring wise. The only thing that may give you grief otherwise is the ECU, as the 6L models had a different ECU mounted in the engine bay compared to the LS1 variants as well as a different reflector wheel. Easiest way should be to use a LS1 ECU (hopefully you have one to suit the motor anyway) but I'm not sure if the connections are different between the Gen 3 & Gen 4 ECU's (LS1 vs/ L76/L98).

Short answer, mostly yes. Just a few things to be mindful of.
Man thank you so much for your reply.
I will be collecting the car in a couple of days and check out what the go with the TB is. It must be a MY06 shape which was sold In 2005. I will let you know all the details when I have the car in front of my.