Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 Intake

im late

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II LS1 Berlina Sedan / VP SS Manual
Hello All,

I have a daily driven 2003 VY II LS1 Auto (Berlina, Sedan)

After reading countless posts on this topic, I have thought of using the following setup:

- Factory LS2 Manifold (Larger intake hole and four bolt flange)
- 92mm throttle body
- Custom airbox and intake pipe, all black (or if there is a existing of the shelf option, then where)?
- Chipmaster PCM Mafless mail order tune

Why I want to go this way is to have the engine bay look as stock as possible (at least more stock than a OTR setup).

Yeah I know I can still get defected for not having the MAF sensor there but engine looks more stock with an airbox in the factory location than a huge intake at the front of the motor (I am not knocking OTR, awesome proven solution, but not what I want to use).

I already have:

- Pacemaker PH5367 Extractors
- High flow stainless steel cats (Euro II)
- Manta 2.5 Dual all the way with only centre resonators and no rear muffler.

My questions are:

1. Thoughts, opinions??
2. Will the LS2 manifold "100% bolt" to the LS1 block?

I see a lot of people end up doing the mafless tune with the stock throttle body/manifold and not much thought has been into providing a larger diameter intake.

Wouldn't everyone agree that giving a 92mm air inlet is always going to better for the breathing of the motor than the stock 78mm??

I see on Gumtree and ebay quite a few times LS2 owners upgrading their manifolds to FAST 102mm + TB so they end up offloading their factory setup (one is for sale right now for $150).

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
From all my readings, the ls6 manifold which is already on your car with standard throttle body produces more power than an ls2 manifold with a 99mm throttle body as the plenum size of the ls2 manifold is smaller than that of the ls6 manifold

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
i tried a larger throttle body on my car and turned out to be more annoying than anything.
First is yes your car will take off quicker with less throttle but you dont gain anything at higher rpm.
Also when using cruise control it basically becomes useless as it gets real jerky trying to hold your speed.

im late

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for your info guys, much appreciated!!

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
If your were looking at a custom airbox setup like the mace airbox COLD AIR INTAKE TO SUIT HOLDEN VT-VY LS1 V8 MAFless - Mace Engineering Group
Also look at a 4in maf pipe to smooth out the flow. You can always port your throttlebody

Not to sure if Dan (chipmaster) is still tuning, he retired in 2011. Where are you located? best having a local tuner tune your car imo at least if the tune has a bug you won't be without a car for a few days

You could buy the LS2 manifold, cut the snout off and attach it to your LS6 manifold...that would be optimum

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
Unless you are going to be running big hp the LS6 manifold is more than capable and dont even think about the LS2 they are crap, the only thing they have is the 90mm opening but the flow is hopeless when compared to the lS6.
Even the way they are made was crap ( 3 pieces sonic welded together) and with the LS3/76/98 they went back to making them the same way as the LS6 manifold, injection moulding.

im late

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks Munz, that looks like the solution I am after!

Surfwagon, I wasn't aware my factory manifold was superior to the LS2. I guess I haven't researched enough!! Thanks for that valuable (and cost saving) info!

I am only looking at the following setup for my car then:

- Pacemaker PH5367 Extractors
- Pacemaker Euro II High Flow Cats
- Manta dual 2.5" mild steel with no rear muffler
- Mace cold air intake (not OTR)
- 3.9 diff gears
- Full custom tune
- Possible: stall convertor

I bought the whole exhaust system off a guy (gumtree) who was wrecking his written off SS.

I found a diff place near my house (Langford WA) that can do the 3.9 gears for $1150 fitted. I suppose that is the industry average price., however another popular mob quoted me $1500!!

I am still up in the air of trying to find a good tuner. I have been quoted from various shops from anywhere between $1100 to $1500 (admittedly both included an OTR).

I really need to find a good tuner that can just tune as I obviously can fit the CAI myself (I did the exhaust myself too).

I also have a manual VP SS which is my weekend toy with 3.7 gears and I love the acceleration response! So of course I want it on my daily driver too ;)

One of the main reasons I am also thinking of a stally is so the gears can change at a higher RPM, not so I can drive it like a race car!! I just hate how it changes at such low rpms, you know like when you take off moderately from stand still, and it has already changed to second at less then 2000rpm!! I have read (and been told by one gearbox place) that the stock box does not like being pushed hard, so that is why I am not sure if installing a stally is going to give a "ticking time bomb" car??

What's your thoughts guys/girls?

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
Stall convertor won't change shift points the tuner can change that, also he can make the changes firmer by upping the pressures which is great. He can make the trans very firm with the power button on, and soft on economy mode

All the stall will do is effectively increase where the transmission grabs and lets the car move at the appropriate revs. I have a stall and its so much fun but not overly necessary if you aren't dragging your car or have a big cam.

Definitely do the diff make sure they make it nice and tight, 3.9's are a great upgrade and from my perspective don't add to the fuel bill.

Have a look through the dealer locations and have give a call to a few, pays to shop around imo

Tuner Locations

im late

Reaction score
Members Ride
Awesome thanks Munz :thumbsup: