Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ls1 into vh wiring questions

gen3_vh

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ss / ls1 vh / vx clubsport r8
Hi i know theres a few threads on here about the ls1 conversions but there not helping me with what im wondering about if ive missed something or someone could tell me what they think or any problems they have encountered that they have solutions for would be greatly appreciated thank you

I have a complete vx ss that im using as a donar car its complete with running engine with pacemakers all computers and wiring harnesses auto gearbox ect complete car missing nothing. What im wondering is will i have any problems using the complete wiring harness instument cluster and computers... ie what if any thing will i need to get reprogramed or changed for this to work as im thinking its just not going to be as easy as unplugging every thing fitting it into the vh then plugging it all back in again??

Also if anyone has actully fitted the auto box to a vh / vk ect some people say you need to modify things others say you dont any pics of this would be interesting to see...As would be some pics of this conversion that has been completed or started..

NFNSUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/x - VS BT1
I know next to nothing.. But i've also been interested in this conversion before.
I think i heard along the lines that the tunnel may need to be cut/modded to fit an auto.

OFF T4P

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
383 HSV GTO coupe & vk ls1 turbo
you would be better off sending your computer and harness to someone who can convert it to a standalong harness and get rid of all the **** you dont need and you wont be able to use the cluster stuff with out modifying it. your computer will have to have the anittheft **** removed unless you use the bcm from the other car somehow. a couple place are doing plug and play harness. for mine vk-ls1 conversion i have a standalong harness to neating it up **** loads gets rid of all the wiring you dont need. With the auto only going off what i heard but the tunnel needs to be massaged in so places to get it to fit. Have you considered using a turbo 400.

gen3_vh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey mate yeah i did wanna go with the turbo 400 i read one of your replies or threads about that and the top bolt not lining up and needing custom converter i was just thinking if i could use the standard box for now with out needing to many mods i could go get my diff made up straight away instead of having to outlay the $6000 to $8000 to get the box and diff done at the same time i know ive been quoted a bit under $4000 for a nine inch with 31 spline axles and tru track ect and would be thinking about the same for the box id gess for something decent....how much did your wiring harness cost you to get done just out of interest??

gen3_vh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah seems to be what ive heard a bit too been thinking about just trying to sit the motor and box in there to see what the go is but might see what a few more people say first..
I know next to nothing.. But i've also been interested in this conversion before.
I think i heard along the lines that the tunnel may need to be cut/modded to fit an auto.

OFF T4P

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
My wiring cost 500 bucks a bloke off eBay does them in brisbane. Very neat job too.just search standalone ls1 harness. Box and conveter will cost around 4000 if you used a good built box. Yea the top bolt wont line up but it wont hurt not to have that bolt

OFF T4P

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I read somewhere if you cut some of the fins on the ls1 box off and slightly belt te tunnel in places it's pretty easy job so they reckon

gen3_vh

Reaction score
Members Ride
I read somewhere if you cut some of the fins on the ls1 box off and slightly belt te tunnel in places it's pretty easy job so they reckon
Yeah ive read the same thing in here somewhere but might as well do it with the turbo 400 i think $4000 was what i thought it would be roughly might be able to use the original box as a trade in to get a few bucks back maby.. not to keen on chopping bits and peices off and bashing **** to make things fit always turns into a nightmare and the jobs people recon are pretty easy normally end up being the worst plus not a great look when you try to put the car over the pits to get it registered..$500 for the harness sounds pretty good ill be looking that up for sure have you run your motor with it yet??

OFF T4P

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
nar have not wired mine up yet. Just finshing off the turbo set up and then taking everything back out to finsh smoothing and painting.then everything will go back in for the final fit. be a few months off yet :-(. my wiring will be pretty easy because i have got rid of all the electric **** and will be custom wiring lights and blinkers and **** so there will be no mess under the dash from old harness's. battery will be in the boot

gen3_vh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ah sounds sweet let us know how you go with it id be pretty interested..i just picked up a vn v8 k frame and got my tuff mounts a few weeks ago in the mail just need a steering rack ect and gonna try and dummy fit the motor and original box this weekend to see what the go with the gearbox is..and got the wiring loom sitting on my lounge room floor thinking about trying to seperate it all myself shouldnt be to hard i labeled every plug/wire as i was pulling it out of the vx but there probly famous last words...