Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 lumpy cam advice

megals

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX5.7A4
appriciate advice for an upgrade for my VY LS1/6M for circuit duty post-corona. Currently running tri Y extractors, twin 2 1/2" system, OTRCAI mafless and 220/224 cam

Considering getting a Camtech 238/242/112. I am right thinking 0.603/0.605" doesn't need flycuts? With standard 241 heads, I was wondering about a bit more exhaust duration. What does everyone reckon?

Comments on the Camtech LS Trunnion Rocker Kit? what springs? 3.9 or 4.1 rear?

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
I'd have a chat with a workshop who may be doing it, unless you are installing it all yourself.

The other question would be, going by the rest of the other mods it will still be on the street?
Have a 234/241/113 Cam which is .608/.602" and I don't believe its had anything else (don't have the details on the springs other than dual springs), although it is 243 heads and in a LS2. Although it does feed into 4-1s and Twin 3.
It is a fairly big and lumpy cam, but comes down to what you want out of it and any other plans, and how streetable you want to keep it

megals

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX5.7A4
It's purely a toy car now. Prices they seem to go for is nowhere near what's its worth to me so no plans to sell it. Contacted Camtech and all seems good. the biggest issue is whether the heads or block have been shaved which is unlikely, or not while I have owned it.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Buy some checker springs for $30 and a cheap dial gauge and check the clearance your self. Camtech has a recommended spring for the engine but you may need to shim them to get the installed weight correct.

Mossymoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy ss
I'd have a chat with a workshop who may be doing it, unless you are installing it all yourself.

The other question would be, going by the rest of the other mods it will still be on the street?
Have a 234/241/113 Cam which is .608/.602" and I don't believe its had anything else (don't have the details on the springs other than dual springs), although it is 243 heads and in a LS2. Although it does feed into 4-1s and Twin 3.
It is a fairly big and lumpy cam, but comes down to what you want out of it and any other plans, and how streetable you want to keep it
I am getting my ls1 done with 243 heads and same cam, how does it sound mate?

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
It sounds loud and deep, occasional bit of a "tinny" sound but not raspy, hard to describe, but is also H piped giving it a bit more of an older style V8 sound aswell. Can hear the pulsing and also feel it if you hold the hand near the tips. (whole H vs X sounding thing does come into play)
Should note it also has a Charger on top.
Before it got tuned with a lower idle the car shook alot and you could hear the lope on idle (but it also seemed to be fighting the charger)
Idle was upped but it still has the lumpiness to it

Mossymoo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy ss
It sounds loud and deep, occasional bit of a "tinny" sound but not raspy, hard to describe, but is also H piped giving it a bit more of an older style V8 sound aswell. Can hear the pulsing and also feel it if you hold the hand near the tips. (whole H vs X sounding thing does come into play)
Should note it also has a Charger on top.
Before it got tuned with a lower idle the car shook alot and you could hear the lope on idle (but it also seemed to be fighting the charger)
Idle was upped but it still has the lumpiness to it
Cheers mate that it a very detailed answer, pretty much exactly what I wanted to hear!! There is only 1 video on YouTube with that cam so don't have too much to go off