Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 M6 Launch and Shift techniques

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
5500 rpm dump starts...u r a crazy mofo enhancedss !.... I tried a redlining dump start in a VK 5L 4,spd....and I was fishtailing it down the track for 20 metres before I regained control of it...LSD 10 Bolt as well....Never again !....well maybe with a spool....he he he ! :p...agh... maybe the IRS is absorbing more shock than a live axle and that lets you get away with it...I like the way IRS loads up and pounces out of the blocks.

enhancedss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE R8 LS3, VYSS Ute 10.0@146MPH & VYSSTT 525rwkw
sixshooter said:
5500 rpm dump starts...u r a crazy mofo enhancedss !.... I tried a redlining dump start in a VK 5L 4,spd....and I was fishtailing it down the track for 20 metres before I regained control of it...LSD 10 Bolt as well....Never again !....well maybe with a spool....he he he ! :p...agh... maybe the IRS is absorbing more shock than a live axle and that lets you get away with it...I like the way IRS loads up and pounces out of the blocks.

yes irs does get of the line better as it does absorb some power, and the squat the irs does on take of, helps with traction.

what size tyres were u running at the time, and 20 meters isnt much considering the the track is 400 metres. and at the point u stoped spinning is the 60ft line, which is only approx 1.8-2.0 seconds anyway. (depending on car and setup).

ever had a car, or been in a car with a transmission brake, if u have u will understand on 5500-8000 rpm launches.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
enhancedss said:
yes irs does get of the line better as it does absorb some power, and the squat the irs does on take of, helps with traction.

what size tyres were u running at the time, and 20 meters isnt much considering the the track is 400 metres. and at the point u stoped spinning is the 60ft line, which is only approx 1.8-2.0 seconds anyway. (depending on car and setup).

ever had a car, or been in a car with a transmission brake, if u have u will understand on 5500-8000 rpm launches.

Yeah...this was quite some time ago... I recall I had ceptors on the back with 225's I think... I rememer it was quite a ride as one wheel bit in the other let loose then the LSD kicked in and the loose wheel bit in again causing the otherside to loose traction... it was like a yo-yo I lost count of the times it did it... I was very concerned with trying to keep straight ahead...reckon I did more like 420 meters that run instead of 400....LOL

spac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S Pac S2 M5
If you are running semi slicks it will also bite a lot hard a lot quicker. So u need to rev it higher, but if you have a standard clutch on semi's BOOM!! :p

Altough there are plenty of people with high powered gen 3s using stock clutch and using road tyres running 12s

Baldric

The BOSS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS M6
if yoru running semi slick warm em up with a good skid in the water. then do a short skid as soon as you pull out to get it tacky. if you have a good clutch and know how to drive. launch it @ 6,000 then shift change 4,800~ depends on your diff. to what point you need to shift. but if you run std clutch/tyres.
launch @ 1500 and just peddle it off the line then flog it :)

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
in an auto vyss with 18 inch wheels, what is the best way to launch that, i'm thinking of going to calder park in melbourne in 2 weeks and haveing ago b4 i do mods to mine to c what its like stock. so what would be the best to rev it too for launching and what tyre pressures wuld b best to run, its got road tyres on it. shuld i manuel shift the gears or do it in drive with the power button on?

OLS108

MR Helpful
Reaction score
Members Ride
Stockish VX Berlina
if yoru running semi slick warm em up with a good skid in the water. then do a short skid as soon as you pull out to get it tacky. if you have a good clutch and know how to drive. launch it @ 6,000 then shift change 4,800~ depends on your diff. to what point you need to shift. but if you run std clutch/tyres.
launch @ 1500 and just peddle it off the line then flog it :)

Tips from Hammer for Drag racing ??? come on John....;)
how about a cam install DIY again though ?:thumbsup: