Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 M6 Launch and Shift techniques

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hi all,

i know this may not be the correct section to post under but i wanted answers from ls1 m6 owners.

as your all aware by now i own a HSV Clubsport R8 VXII M6.
in perth we have a even called "WoopAss Wednesday" at the Quit Motorplex...its on every wednesday and is the only "legal" place to go and drag your car.

what i want to know is the best techniques for best launch and shifting gears as i want to go down and see what times before and after each stage of my mods.

i know this may be a dumb question but this is my first M6 LS1 and i am keen to know how to drag it properly

Thanks for all your help

enhancedss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE R8 LS3, VYSS Ute 10.0@146MPH & VYSSTT 525rwkw
got a tex clutch, if u do, then drop the clutch at 5500rpm, depending on track condition and tyres, u might have to drop your launch rpm down a little, and it also depends on power output of the car, etc....

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Doubt he has a tex clutch, considering the thinsg that were said about OTRcai's etc.

Safest bet with a standard clutch, dont dump it over 1500rpm :p

Enquire about getting rip shift and textralia clutch, then you can do dump starts as suggested :)

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
very funny minux....look mate i am not a complete dumbass as you might think....this is my first v8 manual and i wish you would grow up....i am only 22 and dont have your large amount of experience with cars...
we all have to start somewhere...
so give me a break...all i ask is for some advice and direction
if you dont have anything helpful to say then dont say anything...you used to be so friendly and helpful... :bang: :ranting: :bang:

anyway..now thats off my chest
rip shift is part of stage 1 on mods so thats a definate.....
a mate said to me that he and a few other guys with hsv's have had gearbox issues with 2nd and 3rd...i think they said something about synchros when using a heavy duty clutch...apparantly its common for it to happen...

they could be wrong but i will need to do some research and get more advise before changing clutch

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
enhancedss said:
got a tex clutch, if u do, then drop the clutch at 5500rpm, depending on track condition and tyres, u might have to drop your launch rpm down a little, and it also depends on power output of the car, etc....
thanks for the advice champ...taken on board :thumbsup:

right now it is stock and has the factory 18" wheels with Bridgestone rubber on...

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
DeanoHSV said:
very funny minux....look mate i am not a complete dumbass as you might think....this is my first v8 manual and i wish you would grow up....i am only 22 and dont have your large amount of experience with cars...
we all have to start somewhere...
so give me a break...all i ask is for some advice and direction
if you dont have anything helpful to say then dont say anything...you used to be so friendly and helpful... :bang: :ranting: :bang:

anyway..now thats off my chest
rip shift is part of stage 1 on mods so thats a definate.....
a mate said to me that he and a few other guys with hsv's have had gearbox issues with 2nd and 3rd...i think they said something about synchros when using a heavy duty clutch...apparantly its common for it to happen...

they could be wrong but i will need to do some research and get more advise before changing clutch

i still am helpful, now i just don't have the time to word my replies well enough, so alot are miscontrued, my bad, it is a count of laziness.

Anyways, i've no idea what your friends are talking about, i have never heard if such issues.

Seriously it is worth every $ investing ina textralia clutch, i'd also suggest any work you have done, have it done at chipmaster, best guys in perth bud :)

enhancedss

Reaction score
Members Ride
Daniel at chip master is great, prob out of all in wa i could only sud=ggest him......

with stock clutch and tyres, u can still dump it at 5500, but the clutch wont get u home, uve really got to go to the track for a full day, and drive down the 1/4 and get a slip, at a starting point, then go back, and do a change eg drop tyre pressures.....etc.

say down to 18psi, then practise, and practise on your launches, as this is the most cruical parts of the run......the main focus u want to look at is the mph, and the 60ft time, once u have these down packed the 1/4 mile time will come with ease.

Just remeber the reaction time, doesnt effect the overall time 1/4mile time, this just tells u how slow u are at getting moving, compaired to the gree light...

all cars are different, just a tip when u see the second to last orange to the last orange then launch, and u will get a great reaction time.......but dont go to early, otherwise u will run a red light....

no one, can jump into a car and run a fast time on the first run, u need practise, and obviously your asking, so youve never ran a car down the 1/4....another tip, run with a 1/4 tank of fuel at all times, but fuel weight will effect your launch technique.

If you want fly me over there to wa for a weekend, and ill go to the track with you, and ill practise for you....:yeah:

enhancedss

Reaction score
Members Ride
also ive never ever heard of gearbox problems with hsv's only,

EXCESSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
yeah thanks for that enhancedss but i think you running my car in the 1/4 would be pretty boring compared to the beast you have.

it looks like i am going to use a different performance shop and from what i have heard and read it might be WA Performance Centre. there seems to be alot of LSX guys here using them and i havent heard anything bad yet....

just a matter of sorting my finances out and going down to see them and chipmaster to see what they can offer.

enhancedss

Reaction score
Members Ride
DeanoHSV said:
yeah thanks for that enhancedss but i think you running my car in the 1/4 would be pretty boring compared to the beast you have.

it looks like i am going to use a different performance shop and from what i have heard and read it might be WA Performance Centre. there seems to be alot of LSX guys here using them and i havent heard anything bad yet....

just a matter of sorting my finances out and going down to see them and chipmaster to see what they can offer.

it will be fun, going back in something stock again, and driving the pants of the car.......

ive got a customers car which ive been building for a while now, due to his finances, basically aiming for a mid 9 sec pass (its a skyline:bang: ) his comments were he will be to scared at first of the car, so ive been given the task of muscling the beast down the 1/4 and its a manual as well.

let me know how u go, and post up results which what u found worked.