Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 Oil Cap

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Hi Everyone, I just purchased a fancy oil cap for my HSV VX GTS but it's slightly too large to fit within the oil cap recess in the standard GTS engine cover.

Would any member who has a VT/VX LS1 engine Commodore that still has the standard engine cover installed, be able to measure and post the diameter of their oil cap at its widest point, and also the diameter of the oil cap recess in the engine cover please.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I have a Monaro engine covers(2 piece) but have had 2 normal LS1 full turtle engine covers in the past (full ones) but dont have in my possession to check

LS1 Cap - 58mm
Monaro Power Steering - 87mm
Monaro Oil Hole - 67mm

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
I have two original covers, one on the car and a spare that was given to me, just measured the hole in the spare cover and it measures 66.5 mm, the wife is out in the SS so can't measure the cap for you just yet.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the replies. The hole in the engine cover of my GTS is around 62mm diameter which seems a little less than LS1 standard, hence my problem.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Returned the "fancy" oil cap for credit. Purchased a new standard one on eBay for $20 delivered - works great. My old one always used to get stuck and it took a hell of a lot of effort to remove it to add oil especially when the engine was cold. The new one only needs less than 1/2 a turn to remove/replace - much better (even if it doesn't look as good). Same cap as used on the V6 engines as I found out.

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
I've found that aftermarket oil caps on the LS tend to be bloody tight and require two hands to even get them to start turning. I stupidly bought one that looked nice, but threw it out when I felt how tight it was going to turn in the filler neck. You'd end up cracking a filler neck over time I reckon.

The standard caps are the best thing for reliability.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yeh heard the aftermarket ones can be tough to remove.

Since mine isnt going into car shows etc, happy to install a normal oil cap or the 710 plug