Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 Oil Pressure problem - VX SS

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
check the oil pick up isnt blocked with sludge also.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
How much oil do you run in the engine, when my VX SS had the new pistons fitted under warranty back in 2003 they fitted a revised oil tube and dip stick as they increased the oil capacity slightly, from memory they increased it by half a litre, I have the Holden tech sheet here somewhere. The original handbook said
5 litres of oil but this was increased to five and half litres, a lot of the LS1 performance workshops actually run 6 litres of oil in the LS1 to overcome oil surge.
Looking at the invoice for the parts fitted back in 2003 they also fitted a revised oil pickup and screen.

Last edited:

fixitdude74

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II CALAIS 5.7 A4
Langas, have you had any error codes read ?? i am getting P0522 which is "Oil Pressure Sensor Socket Voltage Low" , i found the sensor to be faulty and i replaced it. if your engine light is coming on with the oil light, it might be that.

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Like Drewie said you can run an extra 1/2-3/4 of a litre of oil without any problems (they do this on circuit racing days also to reduce the oil surge). You could run
10w60 Castol Edge or 15w50 Nulon street and track to see if that helps..

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
hi all, first post here is digging up an old thread. im having this issue with the oil warning light coming on with the chime, its a 2001 vx calais international v8. ive had the car for 2 days now. the bloke i bought it off told me he had a mechanic check the pressure and apparently it was fine-so its just a dodgy oil pressure sender. i bought a new tridon pressure sender (tps071) and fitted it today, the warning light is still coming on? it only does it at idle and on hills. i checked the oil level and its good, he said he serviced it at 139,500, it has now done 141,000. not sure what brand/weight oil and filter he used? only a very slight tappet noise on startup for a few seconds. light normally comes on when the car is warm.

whats the chances of it being the oil level sender near the filter? or is it more likely going to be the costly exercise of a new oil pump/pickup/relief valve?