Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 Oil Pressure problem - VX SS

Langas

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7
Hi Guys,
Ever since I bought my VX SS I have had a problem (or so I think) with oil pressure.

After giving it a hard launch, you would get the oil pressure light on for a couple of seconds - I assumed this was just because of oil sloshing in the sump and never thought anything of it (Oil level is good too).

The last couple of days though it has been very warm here in Adelaide (40deg +) and at idle it sporadically gives a low oil pressure warning. It was doing it again today but would recover with some gental revs (ie whilst waiting at the lights etc).

Now, to me the car obviously has oil pressure - there is no bearing float noise, no nasty tappett noise etc - which leads me to think its a dodgy oil pressure sensor. Does this sound likely? Are they a common fault?

Any help thoroughly appreciated!!

Simon

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Oil pressure sensor is a very common fault. Fortunately they have come down in price a lot. They used to be around $300 but I bought one recently from Burson's for around $120 I think, perhaps even cheap I don't remember exactly. I did have to buy a special socket to remove and refit them.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
What oil are you running and how long since it has been changed?

The LS1 did have a problem with oil pressure sensors, maybe see if you can get a pressure gauge and see what the true pressure is.

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
If you temporarily fit a pressure gauge, this will tell the true story! Though, the easyway is to fit a new sender.

Langas

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7
Its been probably 7000k's since its been changed - I'm not 100% sure what oil is in it - It was changed when the rear main seal was done.

I'm quite worried its going to need the engine out (again!).....So really hoping its only the sensor!

trav_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss and vs statesman
Oil pressure sensor for sure I reckon. If theres no other problems or abnormal noises Id try that first. When I changed mine just bought a 26mm socket I think it was and just ground the wall of it down till it was a fair bit thinner. It wasnt very tight so the socket didnt need to be strong or good brand. By the way its at the back of the motor near the firewall basterd of a spot. Hope it helps

Langas

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7
What was your oil pressure warning doing when you replaced the sensor? Roughly the same sorts of things mine is?

VUSSLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ss
Ive had to replace my oil pressure sensor twice, apparently it happens quite often. My light always would be random no matter what revs or how I drove it

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon
the fact it does it when you launch, oil goes to back of engine and pick up is at the front and when it gets hot, oil gets thinner when hot, i dont think it would be your sensor unit.

If the light was on all the time, or came on in situations where oil pressue would normally be high, then i think the sensor would be faulty.
Get a manual presuure guage on it just to be safe.

johnno010684

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport M6, Subaru Brumby-daily, TM Magna
the fact it does it when you launch, oil goes to back of engine and pick up is at the front and when it gets hot, oil gets thinner when hot, i dont think it would be your sensor unit.

If the light was on all the time, or came on in situations where oil pressue would normally be high, then i think the sensor would be faulty.
Get a manual presuure guage on it just to be safe.

^^ agree with this guy, sounds like the sensor is still working, same thing happened when i put in my oil pump with spacers wrong way around, would go away with revs and if nose was pointing down hill, fitted an oil pressure gauge and turned out low oil pressure. imo sounds like the pump may be on the way out, like a few others have said get it checked so you know for sure.