Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ls1 oil pump replacement.

vytaxi69

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy calais
After searching through here i'm keen on changing my oil pump as i think it needs doing. Car uses no oil and still has plenty of power for a stock motor. The reason for wanting to change is when starting the motor has a loud tappet noise for about 3-4 seconds and if not left for a minute or so before driving often throws a check oil level alarm. The motor uses next to no oils between servicing so im guessing the pump is worn. Correct me if im wrong as this is the first LS1 i've owned.
Also what would i expect to be charged if i were to get it done?
Do i need to replace the stock balancer as i have read the original ones arent the best.
any help would be appreciated
cheers

yamahahatim

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss crewman
I'd probably change the oil pressure switch first..... My vz ss did exactly as you describe.... New pressure switch sorted the alarm..... Also the grade of oil seems to help with cold start lifter noise...

vytaxi69

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy calais
I'm running 15-40 oil. noise has only been happening on start up in the last month. Used same oil for over a year or more now.
thanks for the reply .

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Used 10w60 in my last cammed ls1 from 70k till 200k without issue and now using it again in a stock ls1 from 170k now at 200k. Minimal tappet noise.

As mentioned, try the oil pres switch first. It's at the back of the motor right down behind the intake manifold. You can buy a proper socket to install it with. Just be careful with the electrical plug.

Oh and try and buy a genuine switch. Much more reliable.

vytaxi69

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy calais
thanks guys. Will try that as im sure it's less painful than doing the oil pump, cheaper too.

Jezza

Now with LS1 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman International
Hey mate, did the switch sort your problem?

Cheers
Not the same person but I had the same issue as them a couple of months ago and when I replaced the oil switch it didnt fix the issue as my oil light came on and it still had a tappet noise to it. I ended up putting a friends Tech2 onto the car and found the oil pressure was extremely low indicating the oil pump needed replacing and when ringing a workshop they'd advised to stop driving the car at all from that point as with how it was likely the motor could go. I got the oil pump replaced but since my car had done 210,000kms they recommended to do the cam bearings as well as they will be worn (and they were).

Now you could just replace the oil pump and clean the pickup and be done with it. BUT if you wanting to keep the car long term i'd recommend getting the cam bearings done and the other parts that go with it. For me this cost $4500 by an experienced workshop.

Small side note. I got my car in February and this was found out in May and work done in June. I had no idea the motor was in this way when i paid for it and the previous person hid that from me. As you can guess i wasnt happy to have to spend so much money on a car so early into owning it.

MiKExAUS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS A4 Series II
Not the same person but I had the same issue as them a couple of months ago and when I replaced the oil switch it didnt fix the issue as my oil light came on and it still had a tappet noise to it. I ended up putting a friends Tech2 onto the car and found the oil pressure was extremely low indicating the oil pump needed replacing and when ringing a workshop they'd advised to stop driving the car at all from that point as with how it was likely the motor could go. I got the oil pump replaced but since my car had done 210,000kms they recommended to do the cam bearings as well as they will be worn (and they were).

Now you could just replace the oil pump and clean the pickup and be done with it. BUT if you wanting to keep the car long term i'd recommend getting the cam bearings done and the other parts that go with it. For me this cost $4500 by an experienced workshop.

Small side note. I got my car in February and this was found out in May and work done in June. I had no idea the motor was in this way when i paid for it and the previous person hid that from me. As you can guess i wasnt happy to have to spend so much money on a car so early into owning it.
Thanks for your reply. I have a rattle on startup but my oil light doesn't turn on. So I'm thinking my problem is the lifters. If I remember I will post back with the result. I'm in the middle of a year down. Did you get your lifters replaced at the same time? It's good to know you can check oil pressure with a tech 2. What was yours reading?

Jezza

Now with LS1 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman International
Thanks for your reply. I have a rattle on startup but my oil light doesn't turn on. So I'm thinking my problem is the lifters. If I remember I will post back with the result. I'm in the middle of a year down. Did you get your lifters replaced at the same time? It's good to know you can check oil pressure with a tech 2. What was yours reading?
So I didnt get any of the top end of the motor done because I couldnt afford to do so at the time but my rattling went away with the oil pump replaced. My oil pressures were 50kPa in neutral and dropped down to about 25-30kPa in Drive (with foot on break and not moving). A healthy LS1 once warmed up should be about 200kPa at idle

Mon-aro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Wagon, VF ute
Hi guys sorry to bring back the dead!

Im having a noise/knock when the car warms up 10mins after starts and it fades away 10minutes after. Replaced the oil to a thicker oil from 5w30 to 14w40 and noise still there… Now wanna do an oil pump replacement and wondering ist better to stick with a standard oil pump or a high volume the way to go? any suggestions would be highly appreciated.