Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 Power Steering delete

Irukanji

101% Lunacy
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT Exec LS1 A4
Just a tidbit of info for those chucking the Astra or similar electric power steering pump on. The ribbed tensioner pulley off an ecotec with 2x 1/8th inch washers can replace the smooth idler below the pump on our LS motors. Remove the bellend(aka knob) from behind the smooth idler, and you'll see a machined protrusion.

On mine it was a 17mm, coincidentally the hole in the bearing is 17mm but the bellend you're about to remove happens to only have a tiny hole for the bolt.(or the last person down here fucked it up and put it there when it was supposed to not be? the belt only ever ran on about 2/3rds of the pulley).

Slide your 2 washers with 17mm hole onto the shaft and slip the ribbed idler pulley on, it should it there without issue. Chuck the dust slinger back on the front with the bolt, and check the alignment. The belt to use is a 6PK1400, I've heard of using a 6PK1390, but the US writeup on LStech uses a 70mm idler and I believe the ecotec idler is 76mm?. Either way, grab one from the wreckers for $5, and grab a belt for $50 from Autobarn.

It made the 100km trip to work/back, however PS is disabled until I have time to get the electric goodies in next weekend(Turns out the stock rack didn't like me going full lock left with right foot and bled everywhere). You can get away with looping the PS lines at the rack and dropping front swaybar settings down to the furthest hole from the front if you're SOL and weren't prepared for it.(ie. couldn't get the tie rod off the refurbed rack you had in the shed, after discovering VT series 2 tie rod ends don't fit VT series 1 tie rods, but they'll screw into each other. Will confirm if the rack itself fits this weekend)

tl;dr - 6PK1400 belt, ecotec ribbed tensioner pulley, 2x1/8th washers behind it, remove bellend

(follow the write up for the Astra conversion, either on here or the Ford forums)

Mavericks Choice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV M6, VF2 LS3 Calais V, VZ 6L M6 Crewie
If you want to keep a stock belt an oem dummy setup can be purchased for the LS engines.