Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 tensioner questions.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Can do underdrive pulley kit also, thats what i been thinking of, hence why i regreased

Intensify

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX berlina
I am currently doing the pullies as well on my vx berlina 5.7l as well. The tensioner was making noise replaced the pullie only to realise the water pump itself is making a horrible to noise so I have to replace that to and while I am at it may as well do the other pullies and belts while its off most are a bit wobbly and don’t sound nice when rolled. I have taken off 3 of the pullies including the water pump tensioner and idler, and the air con tensioner, but on the air con idler pulley is a weird star pattern bolt. I have a star kit the only description is number 50 is fitting but the bolt is impossible to loosen, I have broken a 1/4 inch drive fitting so far on it so far.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I am currently doing the pullies as well on my vx berlina 5.7l as well. The tensioner was making noise replaced the pullie only to realise the water pump itself is making a horrible to noise so I have to replace that to and while I am at it may as well do the other pullies and belts while its off most are a bit wobbly and don’t sound nice when rolled. I have taken off 3 of the pullies including the water pump tensioner and idler, and the air con tensioner, but on the air con idler pulley is a weird star pattern bolt. I have a star kit the only description is number 50 is fitting but the bolt is impossible to loosen, I have broken a 1/4 inch drive fitting so far on it so far.

Slow steady leverage.
I used kincrome security torx set and some crappy half inch ratchet with ring spanner on the end for leverage..

With lots checking, boys in America forums said to soak with silicon etc and apply tools and use building steady pressure very slowly.

That bolt removed and replaced with normal bolt

Sent from my HTC Aria using Tapatalk II.IV.X

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Thought I'd report back on what I decided to end up doing, simply removed the belt, gave it a spin thought that sounds dry but there's not really any play so removed and repacked with some bearing grease and she's now good as new - total time 20-30 minutes to remove and clean and repack and 5 to refit. That and $10 for the grease.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yeah easy as.

Sent from my HTC Aria using Tapatalk II.IV.X

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
another update - holy mother of!

I went back to have a look at the other pulleys just out of curiosity and they were all dry as anything.

For the few minutes this takes I thoroughly recommend doing it to anyone. Also sweet jeebus that T50 Torx, I cannot for the life of me undo mine!!!!

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Shes a bitch aye

I wasnt kidding lol.
No one believes me :p

ConstantVelocity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII SS M6
I've broken a ratchet and twisted a torx bit on that stupid thing. Will probably end up having to drill the head off when the pulley eventually gets too bad to ignore. Good thing it's not on the main belt drive...

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Basically heres what i used.

Top is the new torque wrench, wish i had it at the time.
But below is how i did it, torx T50 Kincrome, some ratchet and ring spanner for leverage.

I used left hand and guided the torx bit and sat it firmly in the torx bolt and slowly added torque pressure to the ratchet thingy.

Prior though, like for hours, soaked the bolt with squirty nozzled silicon lubricant in front and behind pulley, dunno if did anything though

IMAG0944_zpsda5a8f18.jpg