Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 Turbo Yes or No

Discussion in 'VT - VX Holden Commodore (1997 - 2002)' started by Shampoo Mohawk, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Shampoo Mohawk

Shampoo Mohawk New Member

Members Ride:
    VU Maloo
    Hey guys 1st time post so go easy.
    I have never wanted a turboed car but!!!
    I have a VU Series 1 Maloo that i have owned for 13 years and have stored it for the last 3. I had planned on putting an LS3 stroker in it when funds permitted as a real tuff streeter.
    Im not ready to cough up 30k yet, but i want the car back on the road.
    I have heard that a single turbo is the way to go for some good fun.
    I just want something thats set and forget around 400 rwhp.
    The car has 170,000 on it with a 4L60 rebuilt 5000k ago with better internals.
    I have a 10K budget, what would this get me.

2. gtrboyy

gtrboyy Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vt ss & lc gtr
    ls2 or ls3 with cam/convertor/gears would get you what you want..sound tough & smash tyres.

If on budget & simply want it back on road tune/otr/exhaust with stall convertor & 3.9 could chew up good chunk of the budget yet still be fun...also comes down to how much work you can do yourself & chasing down the correct parts at better prices with cutting corners.

Cleveland Exhaust is well recommended by some peeps I know in qld

3. harrop.senator

harrop.senator Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    vr senator 355, vu 5 speed l67
    10k gets you a turbo kit and good use box. Have seen used single turbo kits with all piping, genuine good turbos , cooler , tune injectors for 4-5k few times in the last year.

I'd then freshen up the LS with the change. Lifters, oil pump , springs and pushrods , turbo cam if want.

You'll be able to make a reliable 500whp all day .

4. Deuce

Deuce Super Stock

Members Ride:
    '94 VR SS V8
    I read 'turbo ls1' and my first thought was 'foxbody mustang'
    Cause 'murica

5. Pollushon

Pollushon Boost gives me a bar....

Members Ride:
    VY SS
    Do you plan to DIY? 10k won't go nearly as far if you're buying labour

6. Shampoo Mohawk

Members Ride:
    VU Maloo
    I will do all the fabrication and install myself no problems.
    If the turbo option is not worth the effort or it’s only short term fun and is a known money pit, I will just keep the car on ice till I can go the ls3 option, Not real interested in opening the engine up for cams rods etc, I am willing to do oil pump and valve springs.
    Really want advice on turbo brands and sizes and weather the box is a risk.
    Not interested in Chinese rubbish, willing to spend on good parts and tune and save on fabrication/labour.
    Should I go under bonnet or rear mount setup, not interested in bastardising an original maloo.
    Fuel options, pumps injectors and is flex fuel worth the effort.
    It also has 3.7gears.
    Thanks for any advice.

7. harrop.senator

Members Ride:
    Lol stock LS1 motors have been known to make 5-600whp comfortably and fairly reliably so I'd definitely put it in the worthwhile mod list....

8. harrop.senator

Members Ride:
    Laos if you're willing to do oil pump should do cam while it's there but honestly I'd do new lifters , gaskets and good bolts while you're there.

Turbo LS1 even on 10 psi will smoke a cammed ls3 all day. On 14 psi will probably smoke a built stroker.

Shampoo Mohawk likes this.
  9. Pollushon

Pollushon Boost gives me a bar....

Members Ride:
    VY SS
    Turbos are the most fun and theoretically make the most power (lag aside) but that theoretically relies on your budget. PSI is not PSI. Turbo projects inevitably cost more than you plan for every time but 10k and DIY is a healthy start. Just went through the FI thing myself but as it was for a daily I opted against the turbo based on all the boys in my club and their experiences and went a top mount. Normally a top mount kit will be your $10k and then some in one hit - DIY (Harrop, Magnusson, Whipple). You can DIY the WASP kit (Eaton) below for just under $8k tuned. That's about 350-80rwkw and (high) 11 second passes.

20180417_115022~01.jpg

Look up Tonyz Garage on FB and you'll see what can be done with turbos on a shoestring. Also I wouldn't write off cheaper Chinese snails they have more than proven what a rort the big names are with 90% the performance and 75% the reliability/longevity for 30% the cost. As most are rip offs of Garrett and BW you can swap them out with the real deal easy as.

You'll be looking at $5k for the basic intercooled single kit. Add $500 for fuelling. Add another $1.5k for ancillary bits, you never have everything you need in a kit and it's likely bits and pieces will arise as you go or you might decide to chase more power from the get go. Then another $1k for a tune and you might be on road.

There's the odd second hand bargain getting around though you might get lucky but I found most times you're just getting someone elses worn out crap.

Then as mentioned above this isn't even factoring the condition of your LS. I rebuilt my whole top end prior to the boost, about $2k in parts DIY.

If it's manual the T56 will love it but your clutch will likely complain in time. If an auto then you'll probably want to buy a spare slushbox or invest in a built T400.

10. harrop.senator

Members Ride:
    Yes ten psi can be very different between sets up but in a theoretical street engine you want something that's all in by half of the max rpm. And if going under guidelines of similar CFM turbos boost is compatible to cylinder pressure and want non forged pistons can ast in what set ups etc without moving a ring land.

I'd be getting something that starts to make boost at 2800-3000 theirs CFM calcs out there is figure out your na displacement X ve X rpm for max exhaust flow to spin the turbo.

Cheap Chinese turbos are balanced badly get one balanced at bare minimum $150 usually at a local shop. Had one last 80kms and kill a 2.5k motor by sending some of the wheel through it.

Holset cheap I got a bush hx55w with 104mm exhaust wheel with t6ish twin flange for $250 . Genuine rebuild kits $150 but may have wheel changes when turbo dudes finished with it but that's for a street 7.5litre.

11. Shampoo Mohawk

Members Ride:
    VU Maloo
    Thanks for the advice and honesty guys.
    At least im getting the facts here as your not trying to sell me something.
    Thanks again.