Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 VT SS - servicing questions

timothy1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX II SS
Hi guys,

I've recently bought my first V8 and I've decided it's time to start doing my own services (or as much as I can do anyway). I have a 2000 Holden VT II SS 5.7L LS1 with the only engine mods being a MAFless tune and sports exhaust (headers and catback).

How often should spark plugs be changed? I will be using GM genuine spark plugs (part number 12563707) which I believe are platinum (can somebody confirm this?). I read somewhere that Holden started using iridium spark plugs in the later model LS1s; is there any benefit for me to use these? I also saw on eBay someone selling GM genuine spark plugs for LS1 where they listed the part number as 19208532. Does anybody know what the difference between this and the other part number I listed is?

One last thing for now, how often should genuine spark leads be replaced? I have a feeling it's every 100,000 kms but if someone could confirm that'd be great.

Any advice on why/why not I should use these parts of different ones are welcome and encouraged.

Cheers.

Last edited:

umair

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sold my car :(
Well the best information you can get about ls1 is from here:

Generation III Internal Engine - LS1TECH

They know A to Z about that engine including mods, spark plugs, servicing.
I got a lot of help daignosing an engine problem from that site.

franklinfrog

Reaction score
Website
www.cheapbrisbanebikes.com
Members Ride
VY SS Wagon 5.7 Auto Wikid Postie Bike
Can't hurt to change plugs and leads if you don't know the history, but reality is, I think save your money and wait till they fail. As soon as you develop a mis fire, you'll know it's time. Maybe even have a look in your service manual, it will give you proper intervals. I think it is about 100,000km. Actually I'll do a serach....

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/vt-vx-holden-commodore-1997-2002/214670-spark-plug-advice.html

I've always used NGK from super cheap or repco and reckon they're pretty good. I have no idea about part numbers, I avoid OEM wherever possible, too expensive.

timothy1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX II SS
Can't hurt to change plugs and leads if you don't know the history, but reality is, I think save your money and wait till they fail. As soon as you develop a mis fire, you'll know it's time. Maybe even have a look in your service manual, it will give you proper intervals. I think it is about 100,000km. Actually I'll do a serach....

Couldn't a misfire damage something? Wouldn't it be better to change the spark plugs on time to avoid a misfire?

Thanks for the link. What NGK plugs do you use and how often do you change them?

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
buy a multimeter if you have not already and test leads using ohms (resistance).
Set it to 2000.

Working on 5000 per meter max resistance which most would agree is a very fair allowance, placing 1 tip on each metal end of the leads.

LS1 leads are approx 21cm long meaning there are approx 4.9 leads to a meter.

Take a reading if it reads in the hundreds eg.. 360 that means 360 per 21cm so times that by 4.9 to get the per meter reading in this case 360 x 4.9 =1800k per meter which is well under allowable maximum (less is better).

If they pass then inspect the insulation for any cracks/splits if any are split or cracked, replace it.

As for spark plugs, the only thing different about standard (40k kms), platinum and iridium (80k ~100k kms) is the service life, so go with any type you like.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
I have had my VX SS from new, the first spark plug change is at 80,000km, the original plugs are platinum plugs but Holden did change to iridium around the VY,
whether it is true or not I was told the iridium change was more to do with meeting emisions at the time. I have just recently changed the plugs on my VX as it has only done 80,000km in the 12 years I have had it, I spoke to a lot of LS1 workshops and most use the conventional copper core plugs NGK BPR6EF as they are a lot cheaper but need more frequent changes, probably every 30k to 40k but as it will take me 4 years to travel 30,000km I opted for the conventional plugs. They have been in now for maybe 10,000km without any problems. On the early LSI's the red emission label actually shows both the platinum and conventional plug NGK BPR6EF as options. Maybe next time I may go back to the iridium or platinum depending on how the funds are and what else needs doing on that particular service but there are plenty of LS1's running the conventional plugs. The LS1 workshop I used also ran a slightly smaller gap on the plugs. I still have the original leads on mine and have no misses or problems.

timothy1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX II SS
Thanks Drewie, that's really helpful.
You don't seem to drive your car too much, hey? haha.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Thanks Drewie, that's really helpful.
You don't seem to drive your car too much, hey? haha.

I have had a company car and another run about until recently, really just started using the SS over the last 12 months. It has had a pretty easy life.

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
As drewie said, the ngk bpr6ef's are good and thats what i use....
some people use the ngk tr6's too....

I change my plugs every 10000kms..prob a bit overkill but eh. I change the oil every 5000km

GKW

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SSV & 1999 VT SS SII
When I bought my VT SS LS1 in 2011 with 150k on the clock, whilst it had a good service history, I'm still a stickler for such things and had a full service done inc new leads and plugs for peace of mind. I opted for Iridium plugs (first time I used them) as i got a good deal. Can't complain re the iridium plugs. Have done 20k, no problems. Will only think about changing / replacing them out if one or more fail or the lot at around 250k on the clock. BTW: I service at 5,000 k intervals. FTIW.