Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS2 - advice on oil recommendation for noisey lifters on start up

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
hi again guys
I have an LS2 with 160 kays. I did lots of short trips on a warm day 2 days ago and even when warm it was getting that lifter tick for a few seconds which only normally happens on first cold start for the day. the previous owner was using penrite but I cant remember the viscosity. I'm thinking that the oil may be too light and is bleeding out of the lifters as opposed to being too heavy. so flying blind but can anyone with experience in this make a recommendation based on mileage and my issues. thanks guys :)

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Go on supercheap then go click cars guide fill in your car perticulars then go to service parts oil they will have uoptions there from lowest recomended velocity to to highest choose a mid range in penrite or highest if theres only two

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Add some nulon lifter free to your oil mate, putting thicker oil in to try and mask lifter noise is never that great of an idea

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Add some nulon lifter free to your oil mate, putting thicker oil in to try and mask lifter noise is never that great of an idea
its recomended you add a slightly thicker oil when your cars done a few kms the recomended oil is just within service warranty say if it recomends 10w to 40 you put in 15w to 40 once its done a few kms

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
I run Penrite hpr5 which is a 5w40 in my L98 and is good, I too was getting the lifter noise on startup but the nulon additive definitely improved things

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You could also try one of the Penrite full zinc oils after the Nulon additive. Our old V6 always got noisy lifter before the next service was due, since running a full zinc Penrite oil that problem hasn't come back. Last time I left the oil change for an extra 2K and lifters were still quiet like the day the fresh oil went in and no lifter tick on the first start after the oil change either (240K service).

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Work out if it's better with a thicker or thinner oil. 5W40 to start with and if that's no good try 10W40. Full synthetic with full zinc will stop it thinning out too much when it's hot. Synpower, Edge or HPR are my go to oils.