Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ls2 conversion

Robbo Blue Meanie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK commodore
Gday, I’m after some tips & info.
Currently running 304 injected , vn fuel tank, upgraded pump in my VK, thinking of ls2 conversion. What needs to be changed ? K frame , steering etc ? Or do the slot straight in with it being v8 already

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Gday, I’m after some tips & info.
Currently running 304 injected , vn fuel tank, upgraded pump in my VK, thinking of ls2 conversion. What needs to be changed ? K frame , steering etc ? Or do the slot straight in with it being v8 already
You need to change engine mounts, bell housing adaptor and ECU as a start plus more like exhaust.

Honestly it would be cheaper stroking your 304 to a 383 and running edelbrock heads on it with a decent cam. Only thing with that is you're stuck with TP manifolds. whereas LS based engines have much more choice in intake manifolds.

Robbo Blue Meanie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK commodore
You need to change engine mounts, bell housing adaptor and ECU as a start plus more like exhaust.

Honestly it would be cheaper stroking your 304 to a 383 and running edelbrock heads on it with a decent cam. Only thing with that is you're stuck with TP manifolds. whereas LS based engines have much more choice in intake manifolds.
Cheers yeah I know you have to get a conversion kit & am tossing up between built 304 or ls ‍♂️

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Cheers yeah I know you have to get a conversion kit & am tossing up between built 304 or ls ‍♂

I read about 4 months ago a post from Tony Knight from Knight race engines on Aussie V8 It was a year old at the time. He said he can build a 383 stroker for the same cost difference as a conversion to LS. Which means going LS or staying Holden is the same price atm with the currency conversion rate for parts and initial LS engine cost.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
The LS is a better engine though as you get better rear main, a better oil pump, stock roller lifters, bigger cam base circle, alloy block and heads and a stock reluctor wheel so you don't have to piss around with picking timing up off a sloppy dizzy wheel.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
If I had my my time again I would definitely go for an LS motor. However I would not use a lS2, the l98 motor is a better motor. Depending on your budget there is the LS3 and the 7 litre motor. My main reason for going down this track would be for the lighter weight. However don't discount the Holden 383 stroker. You can get some decent power from them plus it would be an easier conversion. Have a look at what Come racing have done and what they have to offer.

Robbo Blue Meanie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK commodore
If I had my my time again I would definitely go for an LS motor. However I would not use a lS2, the l98 motor is a better motor. Depending on your budget there is the LS3 and the 7 litre motor. My main reason for going down this track would be for the lighter weight. However don't discount the Holden 383 stroker. You can get some decent power from them plus it would be an easier conversion. Have a look at what Come racing have done and what they have to offer.
that’s the dilemma, slot a decent 304 straight in & drive or have a fair bit of mucking around with conversion, would need outside help with the finer details of ls but can do the changeover myself easily. Hadn’t looked too much into the different ls but the ls2 seems to be fairly easy to get hold of at a reasonable price. But I would like a decent cam ( just for the choppy idle ) & this also adds extra costs. Too many options!!!
COME don’t sell engines anymore but plenty others do ranging from $6 to $10 grand / 300 to 450 horses

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Have you looked at Pavtech ?