Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ls2 swapping vz ute

mmiikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Thunder Spac
Hi all, sometime this year I’ll be ls2 swapping my vz v6 ute. Was wondering what’s involved and what I need to do the whole conversion. And no, I don’t want to hear ‘it’s a waste of money’. Doing this as project car. Cheers

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Unless you have a VZ LS2 donor car which you can get everything from it is a waste of money (and a PITA to do). They might as well be two different cars.

Basically you need everything. K-frame, loom, ECU (which will need to be LS2 specific if you don't want to pay for tuning), gearbox, probably the tailshaft, radiator, power steering hoses and aircon stuff yadda yadda yadda. Then you need to either get the ECU linked or swap to the matching BCM and keys. This list is not exhaustive.

Project car, fine, but even in that case you're still far better off having it be a factory LS base (any LS) in the first place. So either that or a donor car.

mmiikey

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Thunder Spac
Unless you have a VZ LS2 donor car which you can get everything from it is a waste of money (and a PITA to do). They might as well be two different cars.

Basically you need everything. K-frame, loom, ECU (which will need to be LS2 specific if you don't want to pay for tuning), gearbox, probably the tailshaft, radiator, power steering hoses and aircon stuff yadda yadda yadda. Then you need to either get the ECU linked or swap to the matching BCM and keys. This list is not exhaustive.

Project car, fine, but even in that case you're still far better off having it be a factory LS base (any LS) in the first place. So either that or a donor car.

I have an ls1 vy already , but yeah like I said, just doing this as a project car. And so you’re saying that I could actually use the v6 ECU and get that tuned to match the ls2?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
And so you’re saying that I could actually use the v6 ECU and get that tuned to match the ls2?

No, I said if you don't want to pay for tuning you need an LS2 ECU. The LS loom will not plug into the V6 ECU and if you use an LS1 ECU you will need to have it tuned in some way, be it a flash tune for the stock LS2 tune or dyno tuning.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Youde be better off finding a VZ ute with the L98 motor and doing that direct swap.
From memory they are the same block (6L), same everything, but the L98 is a better from factory set up.
and as the L98 came stock in VZ guise (Where as the LS2 was in the HSV's.) it should be easier to find a rear ended SS with it in there and swap it over.
Less mucking about.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Main issue is that you rarely see vz 6.0 setups for sale although you will find a few vz 5.7 eng/ecu etc available.

There are several differences vz being fly-by wire & different ecu + other stuff...if you had complete vz 5.7 setup still need few things to suit 6.0 engine which have some sensors in different spot to ls1.Also if then get 6.0/6.2 out of something later need a vt/z sump

Basically need complete vz donor car to do v8 conversion on your v6 or better yet stick 6.0 in your vy v8