Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS2 vs L98

commod8

swim wit da fishes
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive V6 Auto
herrow! which engine do you think is "better", as in, more refined, smoother, etc, the L98 (6.0L in the VE Holdens) or the LS2 (the 6.0L in the VE HSVs)? sorry if this too hard to answer, but i'm interested to know. also, which motor would be cheaper to buy brand new?

also, is it true that the L98 (and even L76 in the VZs) have more potential for super power outputs than the LS2?
thanx in advance!

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
i think the L98 would be smoother as its not as powerful.
and i think the L98 and LS2 would have about the same output potential.

commod8

swim wit da fishes
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive V6 Auto
k thanx for your help people!

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
The LS2 is a performance engine, which compromises on things like noise, etc for more efficient power. For instance, it has really shirt skirted pistons, which reduces the mass, but increases rattling...I'm not sure of the L98 or L76, but the LS2 also has 6 bolt mains...not many engines come with 4 bolt mains let alone 6! The Ford Boss engine has 2 hehehe...Basically, for power potential, the LS2 has the goods for easy upgrades (ie heads, cam, etc) without a rebuild, and will most likelly handle the extra power more reliably. Start stripping the engines down however, and it's stupid to compare, because you can change what you want in whichever enigne...

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Evman said:
The LS2 is a performance engine, which compromises on things like noise, etc for more efficient power. For instance, it has really shirt skirted pistons, which reduces the mass, but increases rattling...I'm not sure of the L98 or L76, but the LS2 also has 6 bolt mains...not many engines come with 4 bolt mains let alone 6! The Ford Boss engine has 2 hehehe...Basically, for power potential, the LS2 has the goods for easy upgrades (ie heads, cam, etc) without a rebuild, and will most likelly handle the extra power more reliably. Start stripping the engines down however, and it's stupid to compare, because you can change what you want in whichever enigne...
All of the current LS range have 6 bolt mains, right from the first LS1 in the VT SII.
AirStrike :air:

commod8

swim wit da fishes
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive V6 Auto
cool people, thanx for the help!

VQST80

Holden Red Blooded
Reaction score
Members Ride
VQST80
The new Ve L98 engine has the exact same torque rating as the Vz LS2...530nm
Yet they have different kw outputs..

Me thinks Holden is holding back on power figures here.. An apparently the L98 and the LS2 are more than similar,just tuned differently

commod8

swim wit da fishes
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive V6 Auto
cool thanx for the help man, much appreciated. :)

killzone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6 high output 2008 commodore
the LS2 was the 6L used in the hsv range of the VZ and the L98 was used in the later VZ's ss's etc as like the alloytech V6 as a test to see how they preformed befor using it in the VE the L98 is a simular design to the LS2 but is only at the begining of its preformance stages so there isnt much out there at the moment the L98 is only a fairly new engine but u can uses some cams from the LS2 i would go for the L98 my self there sings of heaps more potential than the LS2 offers :axe: