Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 Air Intake

vss304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V Wagon
Hey all, I've got an LS3 VF Calais that I want to help breathe a little better so I am looking at the air intake. I was going OTR until I had a chat to a mate who has told me he doesn't like them and suggested looking into stainless and silicon piping instead.

I don't remember why he doesn't like OTR, that conversation was at the start of a 1000 beer evening..

Anyway, what do you guys reckon? Has he got a point? Or is he full of **** and OTR is the best cold air intake?

Or is he right and can anybody point me ion the direction of some alternative ideas or kits please?

*EDIT
Extractors, hi flow cats and a tune are also on the list. Don't want big power, more interested in efficiently using what is already there.

Kade.

Last edited:

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Otr is the most effective intake by far,they make the most power tuned because of the shorter more direct intake path, its just common sense.
You cant beat a harrop/vcm otr.
Panel filters with the stock air box are a waste of money,the stock filters these days flow pretty good,trust me i went down that path first....
Untuned any cold air intake will make minimum gains,tuning is needed to maximise performance from any mod tbh.
Just my experience.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
i prefer a good OTR but each have there purpose, if u dont have the ability to cool the aircharge after the throttle body then u have to get the coolest air into the TB

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
i prefer a good OTR but each have there purpose, if u dont have the ability to cool the aircharge after the throttle body then u have to get the coolest air into the TB
Both these guys are correct but so is your m8 it is generally considered you will get best performance from a otr due to the large pressure point in front off the radiator and the short straight run into the intake air filters get dirtier quicker and are probably a bit harder to change than your standard panel filter . Air will always travel better through a straight smooth surface so if you can smooth out your air travel you will get improvement. I forgot about intake noise a lot more with the otr some like some not so much .I personally like the look of the otr with infill myself but don't want to go that way with my magnum

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I bet if dyno tested the intakes would make make 1% if that. It's more in the tune not the intake.

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
I bet if dyno tested the intakes would make make 1% if that. It's more in the tune not the intake.
True but 1% probably 1 tenth which equals a car length on the 1/4 mile which is quite a bit and the higher mph you go the bigger the benefit which you don't see on a dyno

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
What are you planning to do?
I want to put a hsv airbox and inlet snorkel with the flap which I would like to make operational the snorkel is slightly larger than stock with flap open will be more than enough air for my power level I just need someone to help me with the operation of flap oh and I need the air box and snorkel which may prove harder than first thought anyone out there who could help with above would be much appreciated

peterhor

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Chev SS 6spd; 2017 SSV Redline Spitfire 6spd
did you take a look here