Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 Air Intake

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
any IAT reading 30c and 0.36 cyl airmass and up will start to remove 1 deg timing and by 50c is 4-5 deg timing, few little differences between tunes also but thats way too aggressive for a n/a engine

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
OTRCAI heatsoak issues have been around since they invented OTRCAI's. Best to use some sort of insulation between the top of the radiator and the CAI to reduce this problem as much as possible.

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
OTRCAI heatsoak issues have been around since they invented OTRCAI's. Best to use some sort of insulation between the top of the radiator and the CAI to reduce this problem as much as possible.
Not ideal but I would think as soon as air starts moving the temps come down quickly

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Not ideal but I would think as soon as air starts moving the temps come down quickly

You would think so but it seems not. I don't have much experience with the LS ORTCAI's but I played around with one on a V6 and IAT's were terrible and basically had to be going down the motorway for a good couple of k's before the IAT's were back down. Stop/start traffic was a nightmare. I now run an enclosed pod filter with my own CAI and life is much better.

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
You would think so but it seems not. I don't have much experience with the LS ORTCAI's but I played around with one on a V6 and IAT's were terrible and basically had to be going down the motorway for a good couple of k's before the IAT's were back down. Stop/start traffic was a nightmare. I now run aenclosed pod filter with my own CAI and life is much better.
Ok I am wrong again I have no data to look at just another dumb assumption of mine lol

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
Ok I am wrong again I have no data to look at just another dumb assumption of mine lol
I built a cold air otr on my hq by cutting open the framework for the bonnet opening it up above the radiator and channeling it back towards the carburetor which was in a sealed alloy box going from underneath the carb to the underneath side of the bonnet . I remember having frost on the bonnet one morning and within 10 minutes of driving it was all melted except where the frame work of the air intake was that took 40 odd minutes before melting. Tell me that puppy wasn't working lolThis was 25 plus years ago before otrs wernt common . And it was a good day at the drags

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
They definitely do work. Fit some sort of insulation between the radiator and the CAI and be happy. The more modern ones that drop down in front of the radiator so have a good clean/cold source of air are much better than the older designs as well.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
OTR's do heat soak in heavy traffic and hot days, and if the ECU pulls some timing, who cares?

But after you get moving again, and in 'clean air', IAT drops close to ambient pretty quickly.

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
OTR's do heat soak in heavy traffic and hot days, and if the ECU pulls some timing, who cares?

But after you get moving again, and in 'clean air', IAT drops close to ambient pretty quickly.
I think everthing will heat soak some quicker than others but does that mean it also takes longer to cool down??

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
This is a metal cold air intake that was welded together by a well known tuner for my VE SS Ute.

In the early days I often put my hand on it after driving to check the temperature and not once was it ever hot to the touch.

The Ute's long gone but I still have the intake in my shed because it worked so well and I couldn't just throw it away.

IMG_2262a.jpg