Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 - bypass CATS

598rwhp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 V8 Calais V wagon
Looking for feedback on bypassing the cat converters to gain power when racing, but a simple way of switching back to be more-or-less street legal as I like to drive on the street. Is there a decent / sane method and any comment on HP gain.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Looking for feedback on bypassing the cat converters to gain power when racing, but a simple way of switching back to be more-or-less street legal as I like to drive on the street. Is there a decent / sane method and any comment on HP gain.
I expect you would have to have flanges on each end of the cats and a small joiner pipe to take their place when your on the track. You would have to unbolt the cats and bolt in the pipes to take their place when your on the track.

Any bypass system like valves etc you could control by hand would no doubt be illegal on a road going car and would risk getting pinged by the boys in blue.

598rwhp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 V8 Calais V wagon
Thanks for the helpful response - sounds like a bit of engineering to plan it out & do. And "yes" will keep it quiet on the street.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Would be a bees dick of power, probably at the very top, especially if you have 100 cell/modern/aftermarket cats - really not worth the trouble for the amount of gain you'll get, particularly if the car is not a purely competitive one. Fair few YouTube vids on it.

Easiest way I could think of without going the valve route would be v-band flanges.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
You would likely loose power stuffing around with valves. This would be due to turbulence right where the collector is.

If you use high flow cats and move them towards the back as far as possible before the X-pipe. That would be the most ideal solution.

598rwhp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 V8 Calais V wagon
Would be a bees dick of power, probably at the very top, especially if you have 100 cell/modern/aftermarket cats - really not worth the trouble for the amount of gain you'll get, particularly if the car is not a purely competitive one. Fair few YouTube vids on it.

Easiest way I could think of without going the valve route would be v-band flanges.
Thanks for your response - I'll take a look @ YouTube but sounds like decent amount of effort for little gain :)