Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 CAM 224/228 OR 224/232 CHOICE

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
be careful as most of the LS3 (LS series non dod) from VE series 2 should have the LS7 lifters stock, they may make u replace them just to make money, not sure if u can take rocker covers off to have a look down see if they are LS7 or not as i think they are bigger diameter compared to earlier lifters

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
I'd get some advice from other workshops before dropping $2k on lifters. If I was spending that I'd rather get a set of CNC heads installed and do the lifters then, the heads would be off anyway so theoretically it wont be $2k for lifters.

Also, if you're only looking for a little more accelleration, have you thought about getting shorter diff gears? Cam upgrades are pricey, and you need to weigh up the cost, especially if you're only going for a smallish cam. A quality tune can make a mid to large cam still drive almost stock-like down low, and diff gears definitley help

Last edited:

eman1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
be careful as most of the LS3 (LS series non dod) from VE series 2 should have the LS7 lifters stock, they may make u replace them just to make money, not sure if u can take rocker covers off to have a look down see if they are LS7 or not as i think they are bigger diameter compared to earlier lifters
This is what my tuner said, the LS3 had LS7 lifters or almost the same lifters (forget his exact wording) and your pissing away cash for something not necessary. He hadn't had a lifter fail in his workshop in any recent LS3 engine and he had cammed plenty.

HotdogNo1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSv Redline A6 W407
Mate without doubt update the lifters, yeah its 2k more buts its insurance. Mine had the W375 fitted when i picked it up and updated to W407 car only had 22k on the clock, but they made me do lifters.. Cars done 88k now and no dramas, touch wood
Thanks for all the input and after Milo 6.0 comments and LS3 304 I’m going to go with the Walkinshaw W407 upgrade. Will need to save a few more dollars but I want to do it right.
Link below I found online

Last edited:

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Hey Milo I find this very interesting that you went back to stock the cam and stall must of peed you off a lot to go back to stock ?what stall and other mods did you have ?did you have a good tune ? was fuel consumption affected badly . I ask this because I was wanting to go small cam and stall in the hope of flying under the radar sort of thing whilst going a bit better than stock but not wanting a gas guzzling pig to drive ( I already have one of them )
It was a more stall which was very close to 2500rpm on the brake,flashed to 2500 on launch.
Cam was a crow 871202,made 41 hp over stock cam,slightly choppy idle,sounded good.
It did go better obviously with the extra hp but...... only when you floored it did it actually feel faster,general street driving under 3000rpm it felt very lazy,up hills etc was way too sluggy,tune was good and used around 2-3 litres more per hundred so wasnt a guzzler.
My trans is tuned and it shifts hard into 2nd and 3rd so i cant really floor it on the street with the chirping and sideways action so low end performance has to be on point,that low end wasnt there with the cam and more stall,i find it much more enjoyable with the stock cam and stall,mine also has 3.45 diff gears as well(should have done 3.7 or 3.9)
Thats just my experience,i wanted my basically new car to feel like a new car,felt old and dirty and noisy with the cam lol,maybe im just getting old:)
My mods are ve hsv tri y headers,venom bolt in high flow cats,x force twin 2.5,harrop otr and tune,3.45 diff gears.

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
It was a more stall which was very close to 2500rpm on the brake,flashed to 2500 on launch.
Cam was a crow 871202,made 41 hp over stock cam,slightly choppy idle,sounded good.
It did go better obviously with the extra hp but...... only when you floored it did it actually feel faster,general street driving under 3000rpm it felt very lazy,up hills etc was way too sluggy,tune was good and used around 2-3 litres more per hundred so wasnt a guzzler.
My trans is tuned and it shifts hard into 2nd and 3rd so i cant really floor it on the street with the chirping and sideways action so low end performance has to be on point,that low end wasnt there with the cam and more stall,i find it much more enjoyable with the stock cam and stall,mine also has 3.45 diff gears as well(should have done 3.7 or 3.9)
Thats just my experience,i wanted my basically new car to feel like a new car,felt old and dirty and noisy with the cam lol,maybe im just getting old:)
My mods are ve hsv tri y headers,venom bolt in high flow cats,x force twin 2.5,harrop otr and tune,3.45 diff gears.
Hey thanks for the honest reply I understand what you're saying about gaining hp but losing drivability great at the dragstrip not so good day to day

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Nope, I for one (and probably lots of us) know exactly what you mean.

I had a 5yo immaculate Liberty RS nicked & used for a bank-robbery when the WRX was at it's peak popularity, and having just obtained a mortgage I wanted a cheap replacement. Drove a ~20yo Volvo 242GT and it was like a 10yo car ... brilliant, perfect, so much better than anything else, bought it. Many years later the turbo-the-same-model project with heaps of mods based on the same thing ... well, it feels older, even though just about every part was new or reco. 300-degree cam with 12mm lift in a 4cyl turbo car with relatively low compression ... yeah sure it'd probably be happy with 35psi boost if I could fit a turbo that big next to the steering shaft, but muddling around it just feels like a grumpy old car. I get EXACTLY what you mean!

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Im probably going to get 3.7 diff gears fitted in the next few months,its the only regret i had about my mod journey,probably wont make much difference at the drags compared to 3.45 but it will feel a wee bit snappier on the street where it counts.
Probably doing about 1850rpm at 100kph,i think 2000rpm will be perfect
I can highly recommend diff gears with the vf 6 speed auto,the 3.45 almost feel like a perfect match,i think 3.7 will be perfect:) the 2.92 gears are purely for economy and id say also not to get near the performance of the hsv lol

HotdogNo1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSv Redline A6 W407
I'd get some advice from other workshops before dropping $2k on lifters. If I was spending that I'd rather get a set of CNC heads installed and do the lifters then, the heads would be off anyway so theoretically it wont be $2k for lifters.

Also, if you're only looking for a little more accelleration, have you thought about getting shorter diff gears? Cam upgrades are pricey, and you need to weigh up the cost, especially if you're only going for a smallish cam. A quality tune can make a mid to large cam still drive almost stock-like down low, and diff gears definitley help
Getting shorter diff gears
Been there done that with my old VE SSv A6 changed the diff gears from 2.92 over to a 3.45. Positives are outstanding performance. The negatives are no cruising around rev rev rev also exhaust droning making 3.27 a better option for me. I like to cruise so for me a (222 228@116 )cam is my choice. Also agree with you regarding changing heads over to CNC heads at the same time as lifters.
My Cam upgrades should be taking place around April

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Getting shorter diff gears
Been there done that with my old VE SSv A6 changed the diff gears from 2.92 over to a 3.45. Positives are outstanding performance. The negatives are no cruising around rev rev rev also exhaust droning making 3.27 a better option for me. I like to cruise so for me a (222 228@116 )cam is my choice. Also agree with you regarding changing heads over to CNC heads at the same time as lifters.
My Cam upgrades should be taking place around April

With a small cam like that do you really need the added expense of CNC heads?