Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 CAM 224/228 OR 224/232 CHOICE

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
My tuner said upgrading the stock heads to CNC heads would add about 20rwkw.

I thought the stock heads could easily cope with 600hp.

Are they doing your own heads or are you getting replacements?

scooter02

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SSV Redline ute
Thanks for all the input and after Milo 6.0 comments and LS3 304 I’m going to go with the Walkinshaw W407 upgrade. Will need to save a few more dollars but I want to do it right.
Link below I found online

Do you know if this car has the origional rear bimodal mufflers fitted to the walkinshaw headers, cats and centre section? The tail pipes look standard, and it has a different sound to my w407.

HotdogNo1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSv Redline A6 W407
I thought the stock heads could easily cope with 600hp.

Are they doing your own heads or are you getting replacements?
To be honest I'm undecided plus after your comments regarding the OME heads I should just hang on to the LS3 heads

HotdogNo1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSv Redline A6 W407
Do you know if this car has the origional rear bimodal mufflers fitted to the walkinshaw headers, cats and centre section? The tail pipes look standard, and it has a different sound to my w407.

I just had a look at the youtube and your Wright the rear pipes look stock.
Anyway if possible are you able to post or uploaded a W407 idle video to youtube?
Also is your car Auto or manual and how happy are you with the W407 package ?

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Did the manual ls3 ss and ssv get 3.7?
They are really hard to find compared to 3.45 which are everywhere.
Im guessing the auto guys are snapping the 3.7 diffs up quickly.
Auto:manual new LS3 Commodore sales were probably also something like 10:1 ...

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
To be honest I'm undecided plus after your comments regarding the OME heads I should just hang on to the LS3 heads
just have to think if your not after every last hp is the $1500 worth maby 20rkw

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
just have to think if your not after every last hp is the $1500 worth maby 20rkw

And that extra 20kw will probably be above 5000 RPM.....

scooter02

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SSV Redline ute
I just had a look at the youtube and your Wright the rear pipes look stock.
Anyway if possible are you able to post or uploaded a W407 idle video to youtube?
Also is your car Auto or manual and how happy are you with the W407 package ?

I haven't got a video of it, ill see if i can do something on the weekend. I don't think mine is as loud as the one in this video, that's why i think this one has different rear mufflers.. it could be the tune or just the mufflers but it also sounds like this one has a little bit more chop to it than mine. I have all of the origional exhaust, so one day i might see if the bi modals will bolt up to the walkinshaw system, just to see what it sounds like...
My ute is a manual, yea i'm happy with it, I would say that down low it doesn't feel like it has much more than standard, but above 3500 rpm its a totally different car.

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
IMO its not worth doing as part of a smallish cam upgrade due to the cost, if you were after max power with a big cam and wanted to stay NA and were chasing every last hp, thats a different story. If the lifters needed to be changed I'd probably just get them decked a little to bump up compression a tad to help the torque.
Pretty sure most shops that do CNC heads do it as an exchange, so they keep your heads and you get someone elses that have been machined, and the cycle continues with your old heads

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

There's nothing wrong with your stock heads for the cam your suggesting given you want to retain bottom end power.

Forget about the CNC and leave the cash you'll save in your pocket until you decide you want a mid to big cam to brag about your highend horsepower output.