Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 Cam..

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
Hey Gents, just looking into a cam upgrade for the commodore, stock LS3, M6.

Plans are loosely based around the idea of a cam/lifter/retainer upgrade, extractors, straight through exhaust, OTR, tune.. Etc..

Not sure on the amount of information out there, really just started getting serious about it. So figured I could stock pile info here, and see what others have to say.

Looking for on the larger side, but still unopened bottom end, not interested in fly cutting. Happy to dial it in myself.

Being a manual, I know it could be slightly worse off down low, if I 'go too big' that's fine.

Brands, sizes, suppliers, tuners, open to opinions.

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
I've seen good results with the GM Motorsport Street Racer cam, 231-243 113. Plenty of vids on youtube, up around the 340rwkw mark. I was looking at the GM Turbo Killer cam when i had my old SSV.... i wasnt too concerned with down low drivability, that one is 237-243 112. A good tune can make the bigger cams drive pretty good down low.

bozodos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 MY06
Pretty open ended question - I suggest what you do what I did - start reading catalogues from the main US manufacturers and read a few US LS based forums (as they tend to have a lot more serious technical discussion than the Aussie ones).

I personally like the Comp LSr range, but EPS has a good rep, as does Camtech locally.

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers for the tips guys, spare time is a limited luxury for me unfortunately, but I'm trying to fit in a bit of research here and there..!

Heron, is this what you were looking at?

Camshaft Package LS3 - 6.2lt VE - GM Motorsport

With the little bit of reading I've been doing, it may seem my expectations of 'street manners' / drive-ability to be a little more extreme than most others would accept in a street driven car.
Not at all worried about surging at low speeds, 'stumbling' when coming to a stop, or a higher than usual idle, that's basically what I'm after.
Bigger the better. Predictable, but when in its rev range it becomes an entirely different animal!

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
That's it... Don't forget what one person thinks is a big cam, another would think its a small one. As you've said, it's only a weekender so go for a big fk off cam lol, it'll sound spastic with the exhaust setup you're after. The Turbo Killer is one of the biggest you can fit with standard heads and pistons, there are others just as big but you wouldn't notice the difference really. It'd be nice to sit at the lights idling and watching people in other cars looking around to see where the noise is coming from!

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
And then get blown away because you stall the engine:rofl2:

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Lmao Herron SSV :rofl2: That, is what I'm after!

That's exactly how I describe it to people I'm talking to in person, "spastic" for some reason it just sums it up perfectly! (not meaning any offence to anyone).
The only reason I'm steering clear of fly cutting is I (myself) don't want to pull the bottom end out of a engine with 7000k's on it. But if I get a shop to install the cam and it's a realistic price, then fly cutting isn't totally out of the question.

I'm sure there will be the occasional 'stall' in the beginning, but once driving style is adjusted, a little slip of the clutch, bury the right foot, there will be none of that.. Now if my father was to drive it, that's a different story all together! :spot on:

It's not about racing anyone anyway, if I was trying to drag every car at the lights all the time, I'd have no licence by now.
I know the car goes alright for what it is, chances are most of the public think it's fairly quick, so there's nothing to prove.

I know it won't be everyone's "cuppa tea" but it's what I want at the moment. ;)