Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 in WM Caprice

rjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice with LS3
After 250,000k, a lifter in the L98 called it quits.
Instead of fixing it, I went for the replacement engine option and had a LS3 crate motor installed. I've had the car for 8 years and it still does everything I want it to do (it's a Caprice after all....) and I intend to keep it for some time. So it was a no brainer.
It was a basic plug and play exercise barring one plug that had to be changed. The engine mounts, radiator and hoses were replaced just because I could (cheap insurance). So all up, a very simple piece of work.
The mechanics tuned it and the gearbox as part of the install. In now have 256rwkw, a gearbox that changes smoothly and better economy. A win all round.
To me, the ultimate sleeper :)

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Which plug had to be replaced?

rjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice with LS3
Throttle body plug.
Also needed a new top radiator hose as the original one was on the drivers side and the LS3 is on the passengers side.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
After 250,000k, a lifter in the L98 called it quits.
Instead of fixing it, I went for the replacement engine option and had a LS3 crate motor installed. I've had the car for 8 years and it still does everything I want it to do (it's a Caprice after all....) and I intend to keep it for some time. So it was a no brainer.
It was a basic plug and play exercise barring one plug that had to be changed. The engine mounts, radiator and hoses were replaced just because I could (cheap insurance). So all up, a very simple piece of work.
The mechanics tuned it and the gearbox as part of the install. In now have 256rwkw, a gearbox that changes smoothly and better economy. A win all round.
To me, the ultimate sleeper :)

Nice setup, still original trans??

rjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice with LS3
Yep, original trans. However, I was warned that due to the age and mileage, it may not last if I play too much...
I'll get it rebuilt sometime next year though.

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
GdY,do you still have the caprice and is she still going with the ls3, curious as to any problems you may have had etc as I’m looking into this for when mine needs work,also youmentioned a tune,was this a full ecu reprogram tosuit the new motor to run or did she run without the tune
Thanks

rjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice with LS3
Still have it, it's the ultimate sleeper; no badges to indicate LS3 or 340Kw. Just ran up 267,000 klms, so almost 26,000 with the LS3. (Put it in at 244,000). Have done a few lengthy highway trips and lots of traffic driving and can't fault it.
Had a recent hiccup with the trans. Turns out the the oil was low. Had it serviced (for $300) and all is good again.
Not sure what the extent of the tune was. I'm assuming a full ecu reprogram due to increase in power. I do know that they took two days to get the motor and gearbox to talk to each other properly. It was worth the effort.
I think it was money well spent. The car itself is in excellent condition (I baby it and it's kept in show room condition).

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks rjp,glad you still have it,I agree it would be the ultimate sleeper,what state are you in if I may ask,would be awesome to catch-up one day to have a look if I could
Cheers Corey

rjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice with LS3
I'm near the ACT. But I have relatives in Portland... You've probably seen the car...

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sweet,it’s quite possible I’ve seen your sleeper,next time your down this way ,we’ll have to try and catch up ,I’m up near the fauna park
Cheers