Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 Start Up

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
I've noticed something when starting up my VF2 Manual Redline and wanted to ask other LS3 owners.

On cold start up (so at least 8 hours before I lasted started the vehicle) the vehicle seems to start straight away within 1-2 cranks and the cranks sound like they have some good power behind them (IE turns over quickly).

If I switch off the car and leave it from anywhere from 5-50 mins and go to restart it, it seems like it struggles to start (as in it doesn't have the same kick and turns over slowly and engine starts after 3 cranks) Its as if the battery is a bit drained and it only just starts. Not sure if this is the same for all LS3, the WN2 LS3 Caprice V I had never turned over slowly. Car is brand new, only has 100km on it.

Last edited:

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
Sounds like battery to me, as a warmer engine needs a bit more juice to kick over.

Same thing happens with starter motors once they get a bit old, though considering it's a new car, it shouldn't do it.

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
It may well be battery and probably is but I also think there are things in the ECU like fuelling that are associated with coolant temperature. Mine is not an LS3 but cold start perfect, hot start perfect but if left for an hour or 3 can idle a little rough for a few minutes.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Mine often sits for weeks on end without being driven and I may start it just to move it out of the way and switch off and restart it again a bit later to put it back and it cranks and starts without effort.

It also easy starts if I take it for a short run to the shops and back which is enough time to warm it and then it'll sit for half an hour or so and then I'll drive it back home.

I'd eliminate the most likely things first and have the battery and alternator checked.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
Other people have suggested

Starter motor

Vapour lock

auto choke

So not sure, what it could be. What should be the CCA rating for a VF2 Redline? Wonder if the battery is under powered? what sort of voltage should it be doing?

It could be normal and I am just over thinking it.

I will try post a video if I can.

bigjim92

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SSVR
Both my redline and mums redline would start "funny" when they were new and hot, having been left sitting for a short period of time.
But as time went on it's been perfect, hot or cold.

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
I'd say it's a combination of a new (tight) motor and the effect of heat soak (engines actually get hotter when you turn them off because coolant and oil flow stops).

Andrew

Mavericks Choice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV M6, VF2 LS3 Calais V, VZ 6L M6 Crewie
Haven't noticed that with mine had it for 8 months now with approx 1200 on the clock, as a few have mentioned it maybe a particularly tight bottom end?

W375 redline

Reaction score
Members Ride
W375 s2 redline
I've noticed something when starting up my VF2 Manual Redline and wanted to ask other LS3 owners.

On cold start up (so at least 8 hours before I lasted started the vehicle) the vehicle seems to start straight away within 1-2 cranks and the cranks sound like they have some good power behind them (IE turns over quickly).

If I switch off the car and leave it from anywhere from 5-50 mins and go to restart it, it seems like it struggles to start (as in it doesn't have the same kick and turns over slowly and engine starts after 3 cranks) Its as if the battery is a bit drained and it only just starts. Not sure if this is the same for all LS3, the WN2 LS3 Caprice V I had never turned over slowly. Car is brand new, only has 100km on it.
Hi mate : ive never really noticed that to b honest but mine has been retuned bcos of the W375 pack fitted : starts the same everytime but i will check this out for u next time n put another post here : this is the only ls3 ive had - my other cars were all the series 1 v8s (6.0 lt) n some did turn over a bit slower when they were warm : its not unusual for a warm motor to b harder to start :

daz_au

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII
Mine does what you described, sounds like its struggling to turn over when hot, at least it did when it was new. I think it has become less pronounced now I am almost at 10K. Strangely enough, I put a brand new LS3 crate motor (bought from Holden) in my 64 Corvette and it never did it, so its either the Holden tune or electrical setup.

Since the battery is in the back of the VF, I assume there would be potential for voltage drop over what must be a pretty long cable to the starter.