Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS3 Start Up

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Hi Tml678,

Just wondering if yours is auto or manual?
And what service was it in for?

Thanks

Auto mate and it was the 15000km service (12600kms on the clock but 9mths was up)

And I should have mentioned in the first post that I had rough idling issues as well which are now gone. The same dealer also uses Mobil 1 5w-30 under capped priced servicing. Great service all round.

Note - I have zero affiliations with any dealer, just stating fact as to what happened at my service and the attentiveness to detail I witnessed.

Matt2016VFSSVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S2 SSV Redline
No worries mate.
Only checking as it may be something they have built into the 15000km service.
Mine has only travelled 2000km and rough idleing only occured a few times before 1200km and hasnt occured since. So I will probably only follow it up if there is any more instances of rough idling.
What was your experience of rough idling? More frequent than mine?

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
No worries mate.
Only checking as it may be something they have built into the 15000km service.
Mine has only travelled 2000km and rough idleing only occured a few times before 1200km and hasnt occured since. So I will probably only follow it up if there is any more instances of rough idling.
What was your experience of rough idling? More frequent than mine?

Probably on par with yours by the sounds of it. I had a stall once at a set of lights with the engine fully warm. I noticed it mainly when cold but also just sitting in traffic it felt like it had a slight miss.

Originally I put it down to the fact it's a V8 and it was just doing its thing rocking back and forth on the engine mounts, then I realised that it was over and above that.

Feels completely different after the service and reflash :)

WeeGee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG S-Pack Ute M5 (L27) and VF2 SS A6 (LS3)
Hi All,

Today is June 13 2017 and I have a new VF2 SS Sedan (built in June 2016) with only 1200km on the dial - yes 1,200km. From the 2nd refuel (400km) which was the first time it had been run about 1hr in duration, I was refueling (Mobil 98) at night and upon starting up it again it was very sluggish in spinning the motor. This was very noticeable to me however it seemed just like a battery was low in charge. I sort of dismissed it as somehow just a battery going downhill and dying however about 1 month later and driving for 2 hours non-stop highway speed driving, shutting down the engine for only 2 mins and then hit the start sounded like a almost dead battery driving the starter motor. However the NRMA confirmed the battery was in excellent condition. Clearly the heat affected the starter motor. Mind you, this was in an outside air temp of just 12 degrees!!

The car starts from dead cold in the -2 degree chill in Canberra winter at the normal speed, but when hot just really slowly. In comparison, my other car which is a VX with the 3.8 V6 never faults even in 40 deg heat after 3 hrs of highway running, then on/off/on is like instant. I am ready to think about selling this car.... The dealer quoted a new starter motor at $485 (the solenoid is apparently not even available as a separate item). I am considering the risks of taking it to the dealer who doesn't or has never heard of this problem to 'experiment' with fixing it. They seemed clueless and I am reluctant as I need to get the motor hot with a really long drive first and then the problem could then be gone in less than 1/2 hr of switching off.

I am seeking expert advice on what is causing this very sluggish starting when fully hot...... Is it the Solenoid or the Motor with Heat Soaking?

KiwiSSVR-LMF

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Redline Sportwagon
I've noticed something when starting up my VF2 Manual Redline and wanted to ask other LS3 owners.

On cold start up (so at least 8 hours before I lasted started the vehicle) the vehicle seems to start straight away within 1-2 cranks and the cranks sound like they have some good power behind them (IE turns over quickly).

If I switch off the car and leave it from anywhere from 5-50 mins and go to restart it, it seems like it struggles to start (as in it doesn't have the same kick and turns over slowly and engine starts after 3 cranks) Its as if the battery is a bit drained and it only just starts. Not sure if this is the same for all LS3, the WN2 LS3 Caprice V I had never turned over slowly. Car is brand new, only has 100km on it.

Hey SC, mine has 900km on it now. Has a snappy crackly start when cold and a little more subtle when hot, but it's not sluggish to start. Suggest logging it with the dealer now so it's on record but given that you might just have awesome tight seals combined with heat soak just take it real easy first 1000km.

I thought my car was on fire the first couple of times I drove it, it smelled like melting plastic outside, that's almost completely gone now. So give the baby a bit of time to learn to walk.

I think every car will have its quirks and needs to be heat cycled and run in gently. Heck in aircraft they don't rush out to replace parts to make planes safer because once run in they are statistically safer than NEW!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve

CalaisNQ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II Calais V V8 , VS Calais, VS Ute & VZ SV6
It does sound like a heat soak issue.
Would be under warranty, I would be going to another dealer, or escalating the issue with holden customer care.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
check power to starter when cold and then when hot, also use engine as an earth and also body as earth see what the differences are, the power cable form the boot has a connection at the jump point in the engine bay if thats loose or has poor connection as it gets hotter it can be an issue, id be checking power/earth to engine and starter first its easier and cheaper then changing the starter

PSISLE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E, VF2 Director, ZB RS-V Wagon
Hi All,

Today is June 13 2017 and I have a new VF2 SS Sedan (built in June 2016) with only 1200km on the dial - yes 1,200km. From the 2nd refuel (400km) which was the first time it had been run about 1hr in duration, I was refueling (Mobil 98) at night and upon starting up it again it was very sluggish in spinning the motor. This was very noticeable to me however it seemed just like a battery was low in charge. I sort of dismissed it as somehow just a battery going downhill and dying however about 1 month later and driving for 2 hours non-stop highway speed driving, shutting down the engine for only 2 mins and then hit the start sounded like a almost dead battery driving the starter motor. However the NRMA confirmed the battery was in excellent condition. Clearly the heat affected the starter motor. Mind you, this was in an outside air temp of just 12 degrees!!

The car starts from dead cold in the -2 degree chill in Canberra winter at the normal speed, but when hot just really slowly. In comparison, my other car which is a VX with the 3.8 V6 never faults even in 40 deg heat after 3 hrs of highway running, then on/off/on is like instant. I am ready to think about selling this car.... The dealer quoted a new starter motor at $485 (the solenoid is apparently not even available as a separate item). I am considering the risks of taking it to the dealer who doesn't or has never heard of this problem to 'experiment' with fixing it. They seemed clueless and I am reluctant as I need to get the motor hot with a really long drive first and then the problem could then be gone in less than 1/2 hr of switching off.

I am seeking expert advice on what is causing this very sluggish starting when fully hot...... Is it the Solenoid or the Motor with Heat Soaking?
The car is under warranty, they can't charge you a cent. If the dealer doesn't properly diagnose and rectify the problem, go to Holden customer care

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
Hey SC, mine has 900km on it now. Has a snappy crackly start when cold and a little more subtle when hot, but it's not sluggish to start. Suggest logging it with the dealer now so it's on record but given that you might just have awesome tight seals combined with heat soak just take it real easy first 1000km.

I thought my car was on fire the first couple of times I drove it, it smelled like melting plastic outside, that's almost completely gone now. So give the baby a bit of time to learn to walk.

I think every car will have its quirks and needs to be heat cycled and run in gently. Heck in aircraft they don't rush out to replace parts to make planes safer because once run in they are statistically safer than NEW!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathtub_curve
I have 2800km on the Redline now and when cold, the starter motor works effortlesly, but when hot it does seem to spin slower. I got my new motorsport and it starts just like normal when hot, but after 120km it seems like the Motorsport is starting to do it as well. Perhaps it is a heat soak thing like everyone is mentioning.

I have never not had the car start, just noticed when its hot it just turns a bit slower that is all.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I have 2800km on the Redline now and when cold, the starter motor works effortlesly, but when hot it does seem to spin slower. I got my new motorsport and it starts just like normal when hot, but after 120km it seems like the Motorsport is starting to do it as well. Perhaps it is a heat soak thing like everyone is mentioning.

I have never not had the car start, just noticed when its hot it just turns a bit slower that is all.
I think it's normal. More blow by and less compression when cold. Therefore easier to crank.