Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[LS1] LS7 Lifter preload

nomadnos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
Hi all basically looking for clarity on push rod length. I have a comp cams length checker incoming it's more the process of correct information using that tool. The rocker nipped tight verses torqued correctly. There is no crush after the rocker is nipped up only stretch in the fastening? LS7 Lifter preload up to 100 thou no more? I have standard cam standard rockers standard push rods LS7 lifters. When warm I get noise in the valve train. Theory longer pushrod needed. Turn test was 1 1/2 turns from zero lash to seated. My interpretation. Aiming for 3/4 turn. Wouldn't a longer pushrod make the turn test more turns to seat vs shorter pushrod less turn or does the longer rod bring the rocker closer to being seated. Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
You need to use checker springs on the valves so you don't compress the lifter and dyechem the valve tip and make sure the rocker moves across the centre of the valve.
The LS7 lifter needs very little preload as it's a small chamber lifter maybe an 1/8th of a turn after the push rod stops spining.