Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

gr33nbastad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline -- VX2 Calais LS1 A4
I picked up an LSA blower from Eagle Auto Parts, and after six weeks of back and forth, my local shop has lined everything up and will get building in a couple of weeks. This is the end-game (same colour as mine too!).

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Keep us updated on the build.

Keen to see the progress.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
How did kit price compare to getting complete crate motor or similar out of smashed car?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
In the same vein as the previous question, how does the upgrade cost compare to selling your redline and buying an R8?

I’d thing the R8 route would be more expensive buy you’d have all the engineering done from nose to tail (engine, cooling, clutch, gearbox, driveshaft, diff & cooling, brakes)... and the R8 would hold its value better.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
In the same vein as the previous question, how does the upgrade cost compare to selling your redline and buying an R8?

I’d thing the R8 route would be more expensive buy you’d have all the engineering done from nose to tail (engine, cooling, gearbox, driveshaft, diff, cooling)... and the R8 would hold its value better.
It all comes down to what you can afford when you can afford it . When I bought my car I desperately needed a car that wasn't going to leave me sitting on the side of the highway , so maxxed out what I could afford at the time . After I got my wagon I spent $40k on it . Now on 40/40 hind sight I wish I had that cash up front I woulda bought the $100.000 2017 HSV Tourer in wat eva the grey was and been happy but finances at the time didn't allow . I'm still happy with my heavily modded 400RWKW Wagon but I woulda luved that Tourer

gr33nbastad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline -- VX2 Calais LS1 A4
How did kit price compare to getting complete crate motor or similar out of smashed car?
The bottom line price is higher than I had originally planned, but all-in I should up for $14k, so about the same as a Heartbeat or Harrop setup I guess. Before anyone starts debating the pros and cons of an LSA vs those, I made a conscious decision to try and keep my car as "GM" as I possibly can, and I am not chasing max power, just a nice streetable weekender. This price includes all parts, labour, and tune. This should be an upper limit for anyone planning this because all parts I am getting are new and OEM (pulleys, brackets) or brand name (VCM intake). You can do this cheaper by sourcing parts from ebay and not your local Holden parts desk!!

I got the blower in GM kit form (never used) from Eagle auto parts for $6500, and I am also adding FI Interchiller blower spacer plates, lid spacer, heat blanket, and doing the solid isolator coupling mod. A used one might have been $2k cheaper, but then how has it been treated, probably needs a reco, injectors are an unknown etc. I am happy to spend $2k for peace of mind.

In comparison to a Clubsport, after all mods (inc previous tune and exhaust/CAI) I am probably about $10k ahead, but I figure if I had have gone HSV I would have dropped $10k of mods on that too. Plus, as @kleanphil says, I couldn't stretch to a clubby financially when I got the SS.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Also more power to the wheels

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Been a long time since pricing them up so was curious how kit stacked up against crate engine price although those parts too.

Car stuff will usually cost more than originally planned lol

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Who's doing the work?, Make sure they,ve done this before. Mate had one put on his LS3 cost a heap as not a straight forward swap and power output was average. He wished he went Harrop now and saved 5k and extra 50kw.