Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LSD Cone Clutches

VN Commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 5 spd/VR Calais daily driver
Today I pulled my LSD to bits because the torque required to turn one raised wheel with the other on the ground is way less than 68Nm. I'm going to go to holden this week to get the replacement parts to tighten it up again. What I wanted to know is what are the cone clutches like when they're brand new? I was expecting mine to look really tired but they seem ok (still got a reasonable amount of the spiral tread on them). Is there another component that can cause the LSD to be loose? The thrust springs seem ok but I'll replace them too. Will holden be able to fix me up with stiffer than standard springs inorder to get it really tight or does anyone know of another method (such as using thicker or multiple thrust washers)? Are the springs and cones the only things I need to replace to get it tight again (I'm not going to replace any bearings)? What about shims?
Cheers guys.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
depends on how much you want to pay...they are a good diff for a small period of time and then start to wear again.... $800 will get you a good KAAZ diff centre that bolts straight into the diff housing if that helps

VN Commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
I don't really want to spend too much on it, that's why I'm kinda doing it myself, especially if it's just going to wear out after a short time. I considered seam welding the cones to the diff cap and cover but it seems like such a shame to do that to an LSD (would make for quite a strong lockie though). It's a track car by the way, thats why I want it so tight (got a single spinner on at the moment and can't get any traction in 2nd gear).

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
ohhhh in that case buy a spool for about $100 lol...... there is shims that can be used but like i said they dont last very long

Doctor Sodways

Legendary Baby!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Slammed VeeDub Rat and a Brunette...
Do kaaz do centres for VNs? i know a few people with them in late model SS commos, but not VNs

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
my workmates got one in his vp so i asume so yes.... i asked about a price and he got his for $780

simc

Supercharged V6 Gemini
Reaction score
You will find that you don’t necessarily need to replace the actual cones. As the cones wear, they naturally have an increased clearance between the housing and the cone face. All you need to do is remove any surface glaze, and then re-shim the cones.

However, this will end up being a never ending loop of re shimming or replacing cones as the BW diff will not tolerate any more then a few thousand k's of abuse(or about 20 doughnuts), before the torque falls out of spec again. Either way, give it a go, will give the car a fresher feel.

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
- buying a minispool...... $88 off ebay
- fitting minispool and keeping left parts to you can go back to normal.... $20 (diff oil)
- smoking both rear wheels EVERY time knowing you're not wearing the LSD out... priceless :)

simc

Supercharged V6 Gemini
Reaction score
VP_Luke said:
- fitting minispool and keeping left parts to you can go back to normal.... $20 (diff oil)
- smoking both rear wheels EVERY time knowing you're not wearing the LSD out... priceless :)

LOL... agreed.

I steer away from the cheaper mini spools however. The splien cut/mould can sometimes be a little off, resulting in axel damage. Its ok when u run standard size axels that are cheap to replace, but not real handy for custom $$$ axels.
Romac mini spools are around $150-180 last i checked, top quality.

VN Commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP_Luke said:

Classic...

I'm considering either that or welding the cones ($0 :yeah: ). Before I go doing that though I might experiment with washers or coins to help the springs push the cones in tighter. Has anyone ever tried this?