Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

lsd diff from a vr

tbblitz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6.0 L
Hi i might be buying a lsd diff for $400 bucks out of a vr commodore non irs.
i have a vs commodore v6 non irs.
Just wondering what i should look for when i go to buy this diff so i dont buy a doggy one.

Also if i get the diff im thinking about changing the gear ratio to 345 or maybe 39's. Can i have some feedback please

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Hey man, im not really sure what to look for...

But as for the ratios I would say go 3.7's... 3.45's wont give a big difference. And 3.9's would start to dig into your fuel economy a tad more.

But that said if you never do any highway driving then yeah go for 3.9's :)

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
check for excessive play when you turn the yoke back and forth

also if the cover is off smell for burnt oil, and look for metal flakes etc around the housing.

make sure that nothing at all is bent visibly..

make sure it's an lsd by turning one axle/wheel one way and see if the other wheel/axle turns the same way. if they turn opposite ways it's more than likely a single spinner.

if you go with a friend, tell them to try hold still one axle/wheel while you turn the other with a fair bit of force, if you can reasonably easily 'break' the lock between the two wheels you'll be due for a tightenup/reco in not very long.

also make sure to check that everything that turns does so smoothly and doesn't grind or go hard or anything...

Luke.

W

whisky

tbblitz said:
Hi i might be buying a lsd diff for $400 bucks out of a vr commodore non irs.
i have a vs commodore v6 non irs.
Just wondering what i should look for when i go to buy this diff so i dont buy a doggy one.

Also if i get the diff im thinking about changing the gear ratio to 345 or maybe 39's. Can i have some feedback please

Thats pretty pricey, how many k's has it done... is it rebuilt?

For that kind of money i'd be expecting it to be rebuilt under 30,000k's ago.

Otherwise keep shoppin around as you can pick them up from $150 - $250 these days.

A shimmed up and rebuilt LSD should cost you no more than $650 too get done if you want to get it freshly rebuilt.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
their a guy here in auckland that does a reco'd LSD for $450

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Been there done that on a VS with a VN LSD, check the undisturbed old oil for colour, if it's black and smells burnt steer clear.

If your getting disk - disk the wheel bearings and handbrake need looking at, the disks will hold worn bearings tight, with the disk / caliper removed the slop "if any" in wheel bearings will be found simply.

I found the VN had different "smaller" brake line fittings to the VS, all had to be changed over.