Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LSD noise

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
From what I have seen if you get onto it pretty quick when the spider gears smash you can save the crown wheel and pinion.
That may be true but preventative maintenance is always the better strategy.

If you leave it to chance and take a risk that parts can be saved, that bloody Murphy will ensure the bang occurs at an inappropriate and very inconvenient time and you may not be so lucky with saving all the parts in all cases.

It’s a risk and a punt. I’m not a gambler especially when there is not much to gain and much more to loose :p

goose202

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais L77, VX Calais LS1, VW T-ROC
It was always a risk and a punt chucking second hand parts in. I installed it myself and I don't mind working on cars so there's not a sunk cost there really. You win some, you lose some. But before I assume the diff is junk it's worth asking the questions, so I appreciate the advice here.

I've got some more additive on the way. It's cheap and easy to try first. I'll re-evaluate options after that.
I haven't been able to easily find replacement clutch plates online at least. I'd assumed they'd be readily available.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
@losh1971 has also been looking for replacement clutch packs without much luck,… yet. It’s commented on in this thread

goose202

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well that's not promising.
Wonder if a dodgy short term fix might be to shim up the plates to set the spider gear mesh back about right as the plates wear.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Well that's not promising.
Wonder if a dodgy short term fix might be to shim up the plates to set the spider gear mesh back about right as the plates wear.
Seeing as you have to completely dismantle the diff to get at the clutch plates a temporary fix is useless as your already in for a pound anyway. Might as well fix it right if you’ve dismantled the whole thing.

goose202

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah I'd agree, assuming new plates are available.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah I'd agree, assuming new plates are available.
The ideal scenario is to replace the whole LSD centre with a Truetrac and then your done forever. No clutches that can wear out at all.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
3 month wait on a Trutrac.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not certain by any means but doesn’t a BMW use ZF LSD diffs in some of their earlier models? May be there is some commonality that can be exploited… BMW seems to use 168, 188 & 210mm clutch packs.

The following is the Opel ZF clutch discs.

If you have the diff stripped down, a pic of the clutch plates with dimensions dropped in this thread would satisfy our curiosity..

And it may be worth documenting the clutch plate dimensions of our VF LSD clutch plates and shooting a mail to racingdiffs.com who may be able to supply something appropriate.

PS: the friction plates look similar to the above so it’s just a matter of finding matching inner and outer diameter and number of teeth when looking for a replacement. The plates seem to have different ear design but probably the plates can be reused if it’s caught early enough… Plates are visable in yne video below.

Me I’d still prefer a Torsten based LSD, something like the Harrop TrueTrac…

Last edited:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride