Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LSD repair costs

Tony2

Reaction score
I bought a 5 litre VS III ute a while back now but since I bought it it had a noisy diff in it. Anyway I put it into the diff shop expecting to just have the pinion bearings replaced but it ended up needing a new lsd centre as well costing me over $1100 I was pissed off that a vehicle that had only done 110,000 k's would need a new diff. Does anyone know how many k's you can expect from the auto transmission? Should I start saving up for that one now?
While I'm on a roll is it normal for the power steering rack to have a slight/ moderate leak? Is there much involved in replacing those seals?

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
depends how the car was driven before you brought it! if the guy u brought it off enjoyed going sideways around corners, then yeah, 110k is a fair life for it..
not sure about the cost though, seems a bit rich 2 me!
as for the transmission, if it hasnt be re'coed, expect it to go around 200k or so!
when i had my transmission serviced, the technician said 2 me that all the electronic transmissions have a life of about 200,000k, then they just die..
to help prolong the life of it, make sure u get it serviced every 20,000k or every year! :)
the power steering on the v8s isnt that flash (i know mine isnt).
if its leaking, the cheapest thing to do is to probably replace the hoses and clamps (not a hard job) and see what that does..
Good luck! :)

V

VPower

ChRiDDa said:
when i had my transmission serviced, the technician said 2 me that all the electronic transmissions have a life of about 200,000k, then they just die..
to help prolong the life of it, make sure u get it serviced every 20,000k or every year! :)
what about the hydraulic ones in VN-P commodores?

Jet Pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series II SV6 Ute
Tony the price you paid for the diff is about average...

But as for the power steering, i'd get a new seal kit for the power steer
pump, and even new hoses and clamps like mentioned and get them
fitted.. the seal kit should be under $50 then its fitting, should fix all ya probs :)