Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lsd

M

mickd

My Vt 5.0 L (200 kw by HDT ) has the odd shudder from the LSD (?) it has not been driven hard,( I just got bored with the standard 179 kw, when I thought about trading to a 5.7 SS and, having test drove one, I was convinced my old 5.0 was actually quicker off the mark so stayed with it ) anyway I was wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar problem ?

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
my VT SS had a shudder going forward or reversing slowly
the diff was stuffed and got replaced under warranty at about 40,000k

P

Phil

G'day mickd,

When does the shudder happen? on Acceleration or deceleration?, When you turn corners?, Streight line?.. or like what VXIIM6er's was doing.

Some of the vibrations from the earlier VT LSDs was due to the half-shafts being slightly to long and they were bashing the end caps out when the wheels would rise up into the wheel arch, after a time this would then let the shafts move back and forward. Other forms of rear end shudder can come from the centre bearing (costs about $34 for the kit from holden to replace + Fitting) and the CV joint in the split tailshaft (Cost around $350 from holden to replace + Fitting)

I noticed this on my VTII SS and when the auto kicked down a gear at 100k/h there was a shudder in the rear end for a moment. This was due to the when the diff angle changes the shafts were forced against the outer ends.

The diff was replaced under warrenty with the new LSD with the additive in it. The diff was replaced due to the clunking problem thats been common with the earlier LSDs on change down when coming to a stop or slow...

Hope this info has been of some value... In the end its possible you may need a new diff or if its in the tailshaft it could be a little cheaper..

Cheers
Phil

M

mickd

QUOTE (Phil @ Nov 14 2003, 09:14 AM)G'day mickd,

When does the shudder happen? on Acceleration or deceleration?, When you turn corners?, Streight line?.. or like what VXIIM6er's was doing.

Some of the vibrations from the earlier VT LSDs was due to the half-shafts being slightly to long and they were bashing the end caps out when the wheels would rise up into the wheel arch, after a time this would then let the shafts move back and forward.  Other forms of rear end shudder can come from the centre bearing (costs about $34 for the kit from holden to replace + Fitting) and the CV joint in the split tailshaft (Cost around $350 from holden to replace + Fitting)

I noticed this on my VTII SS and when the auto kicked down a gear at 100k/h there was a shudder in the rear end for a moment.  This was due to the when the diff angle changes the shafts were forced against the outer ends.

The diff was replaced under warrenty with the new LSD with the additive in it.  The diff was replaced due to the clunking problem thats been common with the earlier LSDs on change down when coming to a stop or slow...

Hope this info has been of some value...  In the end its possible you may need a new diff or if its in the tailshaft it could be a little cheaper..

Cheers
Phil
I never noticed a problem until I put the VX SS 17" rims on, at first it was the LSD when slowly going around corners, put some new additive in & it went away, I was getting the clunk when slowing down or stopping and the odd shudder, then on a long trip after about 6 hrs driving I experienced a differend clunking/knocking from what could be the left CV joint but have not been able to get it to happen again, most persistant is the slight tremor/vibration, from the diff.......unfortunately the car is out of warranty with only 43,000 k's on the clock.
I guess my only option is to slowly start changing rear end parts,the difficulty layes where to start.

P

Phil

mickd,

I would probably start with replacing the Half-shafts as I said earlier if they are too long they will (over time) cause vibrations and banging sounds in the rear
end. Another idea could be that the prop-shaft (or drive-shaft) is out of balance, this can be due to the drive-shaft not being position marked before removing to work on the diff... (just another sugguestion)

I would suggest if you havent already, talk to your local holden dealer on the cost and fitting..
The weight of the 17" SS wheels with tyres are quite heavy compared to standard 15" steel wheels. The rolling force of the larger alloy wheel creates more stress on componants.

Hope this helps you get started..

Phil

M

mickd

QUOTE (Phil @ Nov 21 2003, 10:05 PM) mickd,

I would probably start with replacing the Half-shafts as I said earlier if they are too long they will (over time) cause vibrations and banging sounds in the rear
end. Another idea could be that the prop-shaft (or drive-shaft) is out of balance, this can be due to the drive-shaft not being position marked before removing to work on the diff... (just another sugguestion)

I would suggest if you havent already, talk to your local holden dealer on the cost and fitting..
The weight of the 17" SS wheels with tyres are quite heavy compared to standard 15" steel wheels. The rolling force of the larger alloy wheel creates more stress on componants.

Hope this helps you get started..

Phil
Thanks mate