Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lukey compared to K&N Filters

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
I wanted to know if there was any real difference between the Lukey brand and the K&N brand panel air filters.
The only difference I can see is the Lukey is about $30-$40 cheaper and for just a V6 with no engine mods, would it even be worth buying the K&N over the Lukey, or even buying an aftermarket one at all for that matter?

Thanks

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
i prefer lukey over k&n simply because the lukey is a dry filter and wont leave crap through your in take like the k&n one does because of its oil.

i had a k&n on my 5ltr and thought i might try the lukey and to me the lukey felt like it breathed better, might have been a placebo effect but for $40 cheaper lukey is my friend now :)

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
Ive had both K&N and Lukey air filters, I am using the Lukey now and gave the K&N away.

Honestly I cant even tell the difference in power, but I dont want to over oil and sucks crap into the MAF and dont want to under oil or you might as well not have a filter.

Depending where you go, Repco said it would be $90 for a Lukey filter, Sprints said it would be $80. I went to a small local shop and they were selling them for $40, they order them in bulk and get a good deal.

I have seen them on ebay for about $38 +$10 for postage a while ago as well.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
Ive always used k&n and still do on the otr for my v8 and never had any problem with the oils, the problem happens when people wash and then re -oil and put too much, if u use it as directed you wont have a problem

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
LOL, I cannot believe people spend $100 on an air filter.

They make no difference, so long as it filters air its done its job. $8 ryco will do the same thing.

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
LOL, I cannot believe people spend $100 on an air filter.

They make no difference, so long as it filters air its done its job. $8 ryco will do the same thing.
lol

'homg bru I just gotz 10 gigaawatzz out of maah VEEE ENN from buyyyin da kay&enn filllltaaaaaaa bro'

I have K&N, I noticed nothing over stock paper filter. Apart from a larger induction hiss, particularly paired with the L67 OTR intake.

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
Righto, well from that, I'm not gonna bother with buying it. I was gonna get the cheap Lukey from ebay for like $50 but if it doesn't do anything I'm gonna put the money towards exhaust or audio.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I noticed the slightest gain with my K&N panel filter, really though it was so small it was nothing to rave about.
But combine it with other mods and a tune and there will be a difference.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
No, there won't.
If you tune it, you'll get a difference. It won't matter what sticker is on the box that the filter came in.

First person to quote a manufacture website gets slapped in the back of the head.

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
Soop prefers pods, don't listen to him as hes bias :p