Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lukey exhaust from a shop

CruisinVx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Berlina
Hey everyone, so today I went to carline at enoggera (Brisbane) asked if I could get a lukey car back for my vx.

The guy looked at me dumbfounded and asked who put me onto lukey, I said a May and online, he said lukey were bought out by red back. He then called his supplier, and found out that lukey exhausts are still available. So he's ordered one in for me at $295, I fit it myself and pick it up tommorow.

Firstly I don't know if it has a rear resonator, 1 or 2 mufflers, but 295 sounder a littl out landish if I can get a lukey exhaust of ebay for 165 no resonator or 219 with resonator, free shipping delivered in 4-10 days.

Should I just tell the exhaust guy nah I've found it 100 cheaper and would 295 be likely to have a resonator or what?

Really should of asked about that at the shop, but the whole thing about lukey doesn't exist confused the fack out of me and I forgot :/

VX_WAGON_SII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Wagon S2
I got a 3inch redback system for my wagon from Ipswich mufflers, it cost me $420 from the cat back including fitting and a nice chrome tip for the rear, it has 1 resonator, sounds great and increased fuel economy and performance, I had a problem with it hitting on the underside of the car, but I put it on the hoist and made the adjustment myself, been a top system since then

CruisinVx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Berlina
$295 wouldn't be too bad I spose then, still a bit concerned about the whole resonator/ muffler situation tho :/

Is it much of a job to put on a resonator at a later stage? Or even possible?

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
The Lukey brand still exists, but I think Walker bought them out, and Walker has been sold as well.
Will have to check for sure.
The new"lukey" isnt as good as the original from 30-40 years ago.:smoking:

CruisinVx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Berlina
Well first thing this morning I called em up and he hadn't ordered it yet so he added a resonator on for 35.

Just gotta wIt to finish work to get it now :$

Last edited:

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I would rather have herpes than the current generation lukey exhausts.

They sound like diarrhea (the current gen redbacks aren't much better)

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
I have twin 2&1/2 redback with rear resi and it sounded **** until I got highflow cats. Sounds quiet now unless I razz it then it makes a good sound (not raspy or too loud)

gm1961

Reaction score
Hi All

Wow, i have a VT S1 304 . the stock twin manifold feed twin cats, these feed into a single 3 inch pipe in to a lukey muffler, after that it has a rear ( near the bumper ) resonator , it sounds very nice, it had a good growl at idle and at cruise, but it does not get to loud or drone, i am very happy with it.

I believe you will need a resonator legally ,cars like my VT SS with the rear skirt can hide it , but on car with stock rear styling where you can see it ( or more importantly cops can see the resonator is missing you will risk a defect )

Ebay has a fair few of the cat back systems, but some feedback from others on quality and fit as well as noise and long term wear will be appreciated, although my system works well and i do not need to replace it straight away , eventually i will go to extractors and twin from cat back just for the looks

regards
george

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The Lukey brand still exists, but I think Walker bought them out, and Walker has been sold as well.
Will have to check for sure.
The new"lukey" isnt as good as the original from 30-40 years ago.:smoking:

Where did you hear Walker got sold? It is still owned by Tenneco Automotive, and has been for 20 odd years. Tenneco also own Monroe, Australian HQ in Adelaide.

Lukey was a really good exhaust back in the day, then Walker bought them out and discontinued the brand, choosing to use their own US branding of Dynaflow. As predicted, it crashed and burned because nobody over here had heard of it, so they rebranded it all Lukey. It is not the same as the original Lukey, just rebranded Walker Dynaflow rubbish.

Personally, I wouldn't use Lukey at all. Even Redback tends to be raspy. Some like them, some don't.

For comparison, I do Manta 2 1/2" cat back with front muffler and rear resonator for the VT V6 for $315 shipped.