Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

lumpy cam?

j-rad

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT Calais
been doing allot of looking at lumpy cams, do i need to do any major work to my engine to be able to put one in at all like computer work? also who makes one for the 3.8 eco engine

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Urgh not another person who doesn't know how to search. Where do I begin. Well you have Wade Cams, Crow Cams and Mace Engineering. No idea why you would waste the money camming a standard 6. If I was you and you really felt inclined to get some more power just change over the rockers, full exhaust and a tune. Cams can turn into an expensive exercise.

j-rad

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT Calais
sorry, yeha i had a look at crow cams, would i need to do my valves aswell?? who can do the rockers?

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
You could just do rockers, cheap way out of it.

j-rad

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT Calais
im not really after proformance, i just want it to sound awesome as haha so i was going to put a lumpy cam in it??

Kernal

Reaction score
Members Ride
im not really after proformance, i just want it to sound awesome as haha so i was going to put a lumpy cam in it??

Such a big waste of money to chase something that will never happen.

j-rad

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 VT Calais
haha ease up, i got told a lumpy cam makes it sound different?? and improves proformance?

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
If your set on it mate, than here you go, COMP Cams to suit V6 Ecotec - Mace Engineering Group

There is a video of a car with the stage 2 cam on that page. I have the stage 1 cam, and the exhaust sound is almost the same as the factory exhaust.

Just keep in mind a cam change is not just a matter of slotting in the cam, you will need new valve springs, retainers, collets, valve stem seals, lifters, maybe pushrods, new cam bearings, and probably a new double row timing chain.

Now I know some people will say not everything there is needed, but it is all the stuff that I would change just for piece of mind.

Oh and if you go the stage 2 or 3 you will need a torque converter to match or you won't get the most out of it, and it will take off sluggishly.

bricat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 Calais 5.7 A4
And if you want to do that to a V6 then go for it. Not everyone has a V8. Licence probably dictates what you can drive. Just try cat back exhaust and see how you go. Remember the louder you go the more attention you attract to you and your car