Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lumpy Cam

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
immortality said:
you can have both solid roller cams and hydraulic roller cams. solid is for outright performance really. roller cams can lift the valve quicker that the old follower etc but need greater spring pressure to make sure the roller stays on the cam cuase if it bounces it will destroy the roller follower very quickly indeed. getting of topic here though. the biggerthe cam the more power you make up high in the rev range but unfortunatly you loose just as much down low where you drive your street car most of the time and therefor would be absolutly no good really:bang:
i agree this is getting a tad off topic, but just to clarify for the misinformed reading this thread, the ecotec is already equipped with hydraulic roller lifters, roller lifters require a different cam profile and benefit the things immortality stated in his post.
the bad thing about solid roller lifters is the amount of shock that is transmitted to the roller needles, over time, these needles develop flat spots which get that bad they fall out of their retainer and the lifter collapses, spreading metal through the engine. this is a bad thing.
Anyway, for street/strip purposes, a hydraulic cam will be more beneficial in the long run.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
Thanks immortality and EcotecManiac, youz didnt go off topic, i enjoyed reading the pros and cons of 'solid roller cams and hydraulic roller cams' . i learnt sumthin new.

sircruisealotVS: have you got a sound recording of your engine because i know you have put alot of sweat into it.

thanks everyone for the feedback

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
hmm, it would make sence for me to have a recording of some kind (being an audio engineering and all, lol) but no, i dont...i really should knock something up..

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
EcotecManiac said:
For one, why would you put solid lifters in an everyday street car? better off keeping it hydraulic to cut down on maintenance.
then again, you dont need a solid cam to make that idle, you can do it with a hydraulic cam, a roller is different again because of the lobe profile.

Ok to clarify:

Why would you put a solid cam into a daily driver? Holden did it and is it a street car? Secondly yes I know you can make that idle with a hydraulic cam. My ute does:p . However what I described would be a package made for power, not a cam installed to achieve an idle note.

But anyways, jecs could you get a sound recording? Would clarifiy things greatly.

Cheers all,
Steve.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
slundy said:
Ok to clarify:

Why would you put a solid cam into a daily driver? Holden did it and is it a street car? Secondly yes I know you can make that idle with a hydraulic cam.
Hi Slundy,

I asked why anyone would put a solid cam into a streeter these days, with hydraulic (both flat tappet and roller) cams being a lot easier to maintain ie. no lash adjustment on a frequent basis.

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
EcotecManiac said:
Hi Slundy,

I asked why anyone would put a solid cam into a streeter these days, with hydraulic (both flat tappet and roller) cams being a lot easier to maintain ie. no lash adjustment on a frequent basis.

Very true. However if I was on a hunt for serious power I think I would sacrifice driveability and go solid. Much better rev range.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
slundy said:
Very true. However if I was on a hunt for serious power I think I would sacrifice driveability and go solid. Much better rev range.
I agree thoroughly. Better again, if you are on the hunt for power, you would go for a solid roller, you can achieve much higher valve lift with one of these cams. However, as i stated before, solid roller lifters suffer from the increased shock loading, thus causing them to fail left unchecked in a performance engine for too long. There is a company in USA however that have just devised a solid roller lifter with a roller that rides on a film of oil onstead of a through shaft and needle rollers. I am looking at getting a set for my new engine.

HIROLLA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII CAPRICE
If i was to put a cam in my ecotec (a lumpy one at that) would i need to do anything else to the engine or would the cam work without anything else?

How much appx do cams cost for the ecotec?

253@7k

300rwhp supra. yay.
Reaction score
Members Ride
TT Supra/HZ Ute.
New lifters, heavier duty valve springs and a tune.

Cost, depends where you are, but fitted and tuned you wont get much change from around $2300.

HIROLLA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII CAPRICE
Thanks for the reply.

I think i might save up for a 4.2ltr stroker kit.

I dunno if the stroker kit comes with a cam?