Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lumpy sound VS Stato

tele47

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8 Statesman
Howdy Peoples,

I have an interesting problem. I have a VS Statesman and the most recent of problems to rear its ugly head is an awful lumpy sound from the front left wheel.
I first thought a flat spot on a tire so changed all four, I thought maybe a wheel bearing so I changed that. I replaced tie-rods and did a thorough check for witness marks of which there are none. The problem seems to gain volume and ferocity whilst turning right however, turning left the sound is almost gone.

Any help would be much appreciated.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Wouldn't be the engine mount on passenger side sagged so badly it is metal to metal?. I had very similar problem some years ago - replaced wheel bearing ($400), both front discs and pads and then discovered it was the cheap chinese tyres on the front which apparently did not have a 'bead breaker' or something when manufactured - this meant the tread squirmed about only on RH turns for some reason or other. Change tyres and then OK...but you've done that already.
Welcome to the forum as well!

fallen1

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Holden VS Statesman
As said above, it might be your discs or maybe a warped or distorted piece behind the wheel.. Have you hit any gutters are pot holes hard? you think if something was noticeably wrong the tyre people would notice it...

Last edited:

tele47

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8 Statesman
Cheers for the responces guys,

I havent hit any gutters no. But I will definately check out the Engine mounts and see whats up

tele47

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8 Statesman
They seem to be fine. I adjusted the toe with the tie rod the other day and the noise seems to have switched from turning right to turning left... Im gonna get a wheel alignment done to see if thats the problem.

I will be in touch.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Could a sway bar bush or something be gone?