Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LWB VS Ute confusion

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
6a4e3amy.jpguqu7upu3.jpgHey guys,

I've done a search and fairly little info comes up on this.

I have just picked up what I think is a long wheel base ute? It is a VS Built in December 1995.

Can anyone confirm what the story with the LWB Utes is? I have read that they are all ex ambulances but surely this cannot be accurate? If so, has the tray been modified after the "pod" was removed because it looks a lot like factory. Most ex ambulance and LWB VS utes appear to be made in the year 2000.

What else is different on the ex ambulance utes? Mine is a 3 seater column shift auto that is extremely clean on the inside. Well under 100 000km and dead straight which makes me think it wasnt an ambulance? It also has a hard lid

I will add a pic in a second.

two-bit

old enough to mang better
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S series II
uhhh that looks a lot like a standard ute

ambula2.jpg

the ambulance LWB where vr/vs utes so 94 to 00, there would be significant structural modifications and a mod plate or a mark on the id plate to say this. my dads mate, used manufacture items to outfit these. they where manufactured to order then outfitted then put into service the LWB ute's weren't publicly offered for sale until the ambulance department had finished with them.

but due to their top heavy nature, they where speed limited even in an emergency so they mainly did sporting events, cart shows etc like what st johns ambulance do today. they would have low kms when offered at public auction. he still has a low km one sitting at his engineering shop has approx 140 thou on it, he just uses it to pick up/ drop off long items that don't fit in his daily drive

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
A Ute and wagon was technically a LWB standard comparing to the Sedan which was shorter and referred to as Standard wheel base. An Extra Long Wheel base or Extended wheel base is what the ex-ambos are normally referred to.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
The LWB ute is significantly longer than the standard ute. Here is one without the ambo pod.

endeavour_motors_holden_commodore_vs_long_wheel_base_ute_99132268161553282.jpg

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Thanks for the info. I researched and standard it is about 1740mm tray length and mine is about 2100 or 7 feet. It really looks bigger than average

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
My above research could be incorrect though as not many tray dimensions are online

Is pictured part normal?
gyzaneva.jpg

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Which pictured part ?

I lifted this from Lethal11's thread for comparison.

newWheels4_zps57ee9b2f.jpg

The difference between the standard and LWB sits between the rear of the cab and the wheels.

Maybe your rear bar is creating an optical illusion ?

I don't reckon yours is LWB.

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
My ute appears to have an extra foot section added next to the fuel access panel in the tray. I will try and get some pics. I don't recall the side window as pictured above being as large on my vr ute.

The section behind the cab in the tray also appears to be on a much greater angle than my old vr ute.

Maybe i am going nuts....

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
9ytumetu.jpg
asyty6yn.jpg
azynasev.jpg

Could someone please get a tape measure out and measure base of tray from back of cabin floor to bottom of tailgate when shut . Confirm whether or not I'm nuts

marcus mcc

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 auto 2000 Olympic commodore, VS 5ltr 5sp ute
Sorry, i couldnt i have a lpg tank in the way. However i measured the top edge behind the cabin to the inside edge of the tail gate. Roughly 1780mm

Attachments

• vs ute location.jpg
    vs ute location.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 510