Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LWR and LW2 Cylinder Heads Interchangeable ?

NB66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE LPG. The Silver Beast.
Hi.. I have a 2013 VE Commodore Factory GAS only engine LWR code. It has burnt valves. The mechanic says you can buy new bare LW2 heads on ebay for about $200 each and he can transfer across all the cams,valves etc to the new heads. As far as I know the LW2 is for 2006 - 2012 dual fuel engines. Note: I can't find new bare LWR heads.

Question is can you use the earlier dual fuel LW2 heads ?

LeighC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Omega V Commodore V6 Dual Fuel
Hi.. I have a 2013 VE Commodore Factory GAS only engine LWR code. It has burnt valves. The mechanic says you can buy new bare LW2 heads on ebay for about $200 each and he can transfer across all the cams,valves etc to the new heads. As far as I know the LW2 is for 2006 - 2012 dual fuel engines. Note: I can't find new bare LWR heads.

Question is can you use the earlier dual fuel LW2 heads ?
My LW2 did not have very good inserts on the exhausts for LPG, seats got very wide & the valves lost their clearance & rode & cut slots in two of them.
I got diamond inserts & late model nitrided valves fitted to original heads, going OK so far.
Beware lifters can bottom out & make valves ride & burn out. Valve length & set height is critical.
Hope this helps. Cheers - Leigh

NB66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE LPG. The Silver Beast.
Yes. I'm wondering why he just doesn't replace the burnt valves and lap the valve seats on the existing heads. You'd think that would be easier?

LeighC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Omega V Commodore V6 Dual Fuel
The original seats are crap to start with will be soft after being cut & will leave the new valves to low.
Get the best known LPG inserts fitted at an auto engineering shop.
I reckon my original valves were too long allowing the lifters to bottom out.
Get them to loosely fit the cams & check lifter position.
Cheers - Leigh